News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Why do the Liverpool Chelsea clips I see refer to FA Cup something or other?  I can see that the results are not showing up in the PL standings.

Agelastus

Quote from: Liep on March 03, 2020, 04:14:18 PM
Will Liverpool win another game this season?

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 03, 2020, 04:16:13 PM
I think this means they don't win the league at Goodison - thank Christ :weep:

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 03, 2020, 04:20:19 PM
It's too bad they're so far ahead already. The regularly scheduled Liverpool bust would have made the league much more interesting at this point in the season.

This has been coming since they came back from their "mid-season break"; they lost their "edge", and it has been very apparent in every game played since. There's only so far you can ride your luck. They are very lucky they haven't lost three games in a row.

I am honestly not surprised; I was and remain implacably opposed to "mid-season breaks" for any country where the weather does not mandate them.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2020, 01:15:40 PM
Why do the Liverpool Chelsea clips I see refer to FA Cup something or other?  I can see that the results are not showing up in the PL standings.

I think I figured it out myself.  This is the same thing I asked about earlier, just that it's reached the stage where two PL teams are playing.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2020, 01:15:40 PM

The FA Cup and the Premier League are different competitions.

Josquius

Sad to see Liverpool faltering.
Will they be super Liverpool and throw away the title?
Probably not.
And I'm not sure whether that would be entertaining or not. Going to go, no, since it'd only be City otherwise.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2020, 03:57:01 AM
Sad to see Liverpool faltering.
Will they be super Liverpool and throw away the title?
Probably not.
And I'm not sure whether that would be entertaining or not. Going to go, no, since it'd only be City otherwise.

It's pretty much impossible to lose the League title; but Champions League seems very likely
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Why is Rooney playing for a 5th division team?  Is he broke?

Grey Fox

He's an assistant coach there, iirc.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2020, 06:09:01 PM

They're a comfortably second division team.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Vienna paper recently had in its sports section under "foreign leagues" a report of the Barnsley vs Reading game which confused me, because they usually only mention the top teams of the Premiere League.

Turns out that apparently there were some Austrians in the match. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

A step up from his last team.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on March 06, 2020, 09:24:48 AM

But you like the MLS 🤔
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

The MLS' technical level is just so, so bad. Lots of garbage passes, balls bouncing around, poor coverage defensively etc.

I remember when the Impact signed Alessandro Nesta for a year or 2. The dude was a million years old, couldn't run for shit but NOBODY got past him.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 08, 2020, 09:34:44 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 06, 2020, 09:24:48 AM

But you like the MLS 🤔

I do.

But Rooney played for DC United

Civis Romanus Sum