And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Liverpool demolishing United twice this season solidifies the notion that the North London Derby is the only decent rivalry left in the Premier League.

United/Liverpool? We just saw the state of that over the last few years :lol:

United/City? Literally no one gives a shit about City, not even their own fans  :lol:

Liverpool/Everton?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

But Arsenal/Spurs? Two thoroughly average teams of more or less equivalent level both with massive inferiority complexes and unrealistic expectations just bashing each other home and away and just a couple miles from each other. Get in son.

Jacob

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 19, 2022, 10:26:17 PMBut Arsenal/Spurs? Two thoroughly average teams of more or less equivalent level both with massive inferiority complexes and unrealistic expectations just bashing each other home and away and just a couple miles from each other. Get in son.

Arsenal/Spurs are not two average teams, even remotely.

Josephus

No one gives a shit about city? Not so sure.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2022, 12:07:04 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 19, 2022, 10:26:17 PMBut Arsenal/Spurs? Two thoroughly average teams of more or less equivalent level both with massive inferiority complexes and unrealistic expectations just bashing each other home and away and just a couple miles from each other. Get in son.

Arsenal/Spurs are not two average teams, even remotely.

We can quibble about 'average' but I'll allow for them to be 'above average'.

Certainly not at City or Liverpool levels of play.

In historical stature, Arsenal are above Tottenham and City but below Liverpool. 

It's all just a silly rant about football opinions in any case  :bowler:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on April 20, 2022, 06:00:13 AMNo one gives a shit about city? Not so sure.

They can't even fill their medium-sized stadium. Pep has to beg fans to come to their home games  :lmfao:

Josquius

Fulham in the Premier league again. This bores me.

As to spurs and arsenal average... This betrays a top 2 centrism.
Theyre top third of the Premier league which is very good in an objective book.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on April 20, 2022, 07:48:52 AMFulham in the Premier league again. This bores me.

Not a fan of London clubs getting promoted?

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2022, 09:51:23 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 20, 2022, 07:48:52 AMFulham in the Premier league again. This bores me.

Not a fan of London clubs getting promoted?

Nyet. A sad development of the modern day.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

FM, what is a "link up play" in American terms?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2022, 11:39:14 PMFM, what is a "link up play" in American terms?

Link up play refers to a team's ability to coherently progress the ball up the pitch through clever passing combinations, bringing teammates into the play, strong forwards holding up the ball, runners moving in behind defenses, and players finding said runners. In terms of an individual player's quality, it's often applied for instance to center forwards who can receive the ball with their back to the goal and play in forward runners from the midfield or the wing.

I'm unsure of an American analogue. Maybe a point guard gliding between teammates, passing the ball between them to set up an easy lay up for someone?

Admiral Yi

Hmmm.

So any kind of passing in the last third of the....pitch while the defense is set, i.e. not on a break?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2022, 12:16:56 PMHmmm.

So any kind of passing in the last third of the....pitch while the defense is set, i.e. not on a break?

I think it also requires quick positioning that forces defenders to either move out of position (creating empty space behind them) or allow the attackers a local numbers advantage if the defender doesn't move.

If you just sort of idly pass the ball back and forth while staying in more or less put, and the defenders can comfortably reposition without creating gaps in their defensive positioning it's not really link-up play, even if the ball is being passed on the last third of the pitch.

One of the successful outcomes of a link-up play is creating a break, I would think.

Gups

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 19, 2022, 10:26:17 PMLiverpool demolishing United twice this season solidifies the notion that the North London Derby is the only decent rivalry left in the Premier League.

United/City? Literally no one gives a shit about City, not even their own fans  :lol:

But Arsenal/Spurs? Two thoroughly average teams of more or less equivalent level both with massive inferiority complexes and unrealistic expectations just bashing each other home and away and just a couple miles from each other. Get in son.

City are widely hated these days. Liverpool v City is developing into a real rivalry. Also Man u v Leeds; Chelsea v Leeds; Chelsea v Spurs;Wolves v Villa; Brighton v Palace amongst others.

BTW it's "get in my son"

FunkMonk

Quote from: Gups on April 21, 2022, 01:51:51 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 19, 2022, 10:26:17 PMLiverpool demolishing United twice this season solidifies the notion that the North London Derby is the only decent rivalry left in the Premier League.

City are widely hated these days. Liverpool v City is developing into a real rivalry. Also Man u v Leeds; Chelsea v Leeds; Chelsea v Spurs;Wolves v Villa; Brighton v Palace amongst others.

BTW it's "get in my son"

:bowler: