News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2023, 05:19:30 AMAs I understand they did get City they just decided not to punish them.

Why do you say that? They have been charged and are contesting the charges. Where is there a decision not to punish them?

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 14, 2023, 01:57:27 PMWTF is going on with ex-Saints players. There's Le Tissier in general - but now Rickie Lambert's posting Q Anon-ish videos and appearing on Le Tissier's podcast :huh:

:hmm:

Not heard of any of this, so what odd things has 'God' been upto in his post penalty taking career?

edit:
Just looked on wiki, so mainly covid-19 denial/conspiracy and general twitter potty-mouthness.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

This is just a crazy story by a very reputable sports reporter Rick Westhead of TSN.  Canada Soccer contemplates bankruptcy, Men's national team may have lost out on playing any international friendlies this fall, signed a 20 year deal in 2018 giving up all of their media rights - right before the team went to a World Cup, and is now set to co-host a world Cup, making those rights infinitely more valuable...

https://www.tsn.ca/westhead-interim-general-secretary-jason-devos-paints-grim-picture-of-canada-soccer-s-finances-1.1977583
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Video blocked for me.

I can understand regret for cashing out the rights for the short money, but I don't see how that leads to insolvency.

HVC

If they hadn't taken such a long deal they'd be getting some sweet sweet World Cup money soon so could stave off the bankruptcy. As the article under the video states this was controversial move when it was done because the World Cup bid was announced when this deal was being worked out.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2023, 01:46:51 PMVideo blocked for me.

I can understand regret for cashing out the rights for the short money, but I don't see how that leads to insolvency.

It doesn't really but Canada soccer is out of money. The rights deal looks so much like a money laundering deal that. imo, Canada soccer thinks a judge might sides with them in a bankruptcy case.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Christian Pulisic is off to Milan.

Yi, you going to learn Italian now?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 12, 2023, 08:15:01 PMChristian Pulisic is off to Milan.

^_^

High time to jump ship I think.  Remind me which team has the two young Americans on it.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2023, 08:21:04 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 12, 2023, 08:15:01 PMChristian Pulisic is off to Milan.

^_^

High time to jump ship I think.  Remind me which team has the two young Americans on it.

I think you're thinking of Leeds United but

1) they got relegated to the Championship

and

2) I think they only have one American left, Tyler Adams. Brendan Aaronson is off to Germany on loan and Weston McKennie is gone. And they fired their American coach.

Gups

I think Fulham have two. The goalie and some kid who is really a Brit but who qualifies for the States through a parent

FunkMonk

Quote from: Gups on July 13, 2023, 08:55:00 AMI think Fulham have two. The goalie and some kid who is really a Brit but who qualifies for the States through a parent

You might be thinking of Arsenal? Matt Turner is our backup and the US #1 and Folarin Balogun, the new US #9, came up through Hale End and blew up in France on loan.

I was going to mention them but most of my posts in this thread pertain to Arsenal so I resisted the temptation  :lol:

Josquius

Sunderland beat San Antonio in a preseason friendly.
I watched some highlights on YouTube.
Man. Those American commentators. Way too excited for a friendly  :lol:

Can't help but feel for teams like San Antonio. Winning the second division but unable to progress.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.