News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

:lol: WTF? :blink:

(Although I can sort of see why if they've decided against appointing a new manager now/can't get the one they want because I'm not sure who else would accept the Interim Manager gig. It would be hilarious if he now did a Solskjaer....)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Don't know if there's much of a point to appointing a caretaker at this point that is not going to continue next season, tbh.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2023, 01:59:12 PMDon't know if there's much of a point to appointing a caretaker at this point that is not going to continue next season, tbh.

Higher league finish = £££££
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on April 05, 2023, 02:57:13 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2023, 01:59:12 PMDon't know if there's much of a point to appointing a caretaker at this point that is not going to continue next season, tbh.

But then you look for a better coach now, rather than a caretaker.

Sheilbh

I feel like it's either the available coaches they might like (Nagelsman, Enrique, Poch) aren't interested, or maybe they have a specific target in mind but they're not willing to leave their current club until summer (maybe Spalletti?) - or maybe they just think it's going to take a while.

I feel like Chelsea got rid of lots of their technical/recruitment team in the change from Abramovich to Boehly and I'm not sure if it's been replaced, or would impact a manager search? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2023, 03:12:25 PM
I feel like it's either the available coaches they might like (Nagelsman, Enrique, Poch) aren't interested, or maybe they have a specific target in mind but they're not willing to leave their current club until summer (maybe Spalletti?) - or maybe they just think it's going to take a while.

That'd be the main reason, yes, that the manager they truly want is not available at the moment, but then it's strange how they seem to be already interviewing big name candidates if they don't intend to make a final signing until the season is over.

Sheilbh

Yeah I wonder if that's part one/they can't get managers they like.

Not sure but I wonder if some of those big coaches are maybe looking into Chelsea and thinking it looks like a bit of a dumpster fire at the minute? I mean Boehly bought the club less than a year ago, he appointed himself interim sporting director, has fired two managers (including one he gave a five year contract), spent loads on lots of players who don't necessarily go together and are on very long term contracts. Poch might just be a true Spurs fan but I wonder if other managers are looking and wondering if Chelsea is really the place to do what they want.

It might just be press rumours but I feel like if you've gone from reportedly talking to Nagelsmann to Frank Lampard as interim manager you might not be getting the response you were wanting? :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2023, 03:01:51 PM

There are different sorts of coach.
There's some who can come in and slap a team into shape and get some wins out of them but who may not be great in the long term.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on April 05, 2023, 04:24:02 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2023, 03:01:51 PM

There are different sorts of coach.
There's some who can come in and slap a team into shape and get some wins out of them but who may not be great in the long term.

And it'd be understandable to get a guy like that if they were a team in the relegation battle, but that's not the case. Are they still in contention for European football or are they out of the race already?

Tamas

I mean... at this stage I am resigned to whoever as interim coach and be relieved as long as its not Mourinho.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 05, 2023, 05:34:23 PMI mean... at this stage I am resigned to whoever as interim coach and be relieved as long as its not Mourinho.
In a villa in Spain, Allardyce sits by his phone :ph34r: :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Absolutely a great example of the just slap the players into shape style of manager.

Though would be a bizzare and interesting fit for Chelsea. Might help slim their wage bill a bit.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

This meme format might be my favorite.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

West Ham 2 Arsenal 2.

It's pretty much over. Only 4 point gap and City look unstoppable. Arsenal's form really dipping with a key injury to William Saliba.

CL football is secure, and that was this season's target, but this feels like a huge disappointment considering what could've been.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

City do look to perhaps have a better fixture list ahead.
Fingers crossed for arsenal though. It's been long enough they'd semi count as someone new winning.
Still hoping for the city arsenal game as a decider
██████
██████
██████