News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Zoupa on January 18, 2023, 12:23:30 AMArsenal are from south London. Fake north Londoners.
They've been in Islington for longer than most countries have existed so I think we can forgive them that. MK Dons they aint.

Their current stadium being right next to the ECML on its approach into Kings Cross they're the most North London team in my book :p

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2023, 07:48:29 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 17, 2023, 07:42:56 PMI can't spake

Que?

I'm fine with MSL names like FC but like Beeb and others I think United and Real are stupid and insulting.

Salt Lake has a double whammy because they have the Jazz in the NBA.  SLC has to be the least jazziest city in the US.
There surely are a lot of US teams where the name United would be very appropriate for the same reasons teams have that name in the UK.

Real though yeah. Just ridiculous cosplay.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2023, 02:47:26 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 17, 2023, 02:42:47 PMIt's not like this is a new phenomenon. "Euro-style football names" are for the most part (not all) "English-style football names". We just aped them first. Give them years and they will start to feel less tacky.

Not every country can have beautiful club initials like German.
VfL = Verein für Leibesübungen (e.g. VfL Bochum)
VfB = Verein für Ballsport (e.g. VfB Stuttgart)
Spvgg = Spielvereinigung (basically the equivalent of United, e.g. Unterhaching)
TSV = Turnsportverein (e.g. TSV 1860 München)
FC (Fußballclub) or SC (Sportclub) are pretty common, though. :P
(Plus some German specialties, e.g. Kaiserreich names like Borussia or Arminia, or former GDR names like Dynamo (=Stasi clubs) or Carl-Zeiss)

IN MLS, Houston is Houston Dynamo. I don't think there is a Stasi connection, though.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 17, 2023, 09:32:08 PMAny cases of European football clubs upping sticks and moving to another town like American sports teams often do?

Over here it happened only once, and not so long ago, but it was a strange situation, involving two different clubs, one called "Granada 74" and another one called "Ciudad de Murcia", and neither of them exist anymore.

Granada 74, founded in 1974, was Granada's 2nd team, and had always lingered in the lower divisions, peaking in the "Tercera división" (4th tier) in the mid 90s. Ciudad de Murcia was a newly created team in 1999, which after its foundation quickly got promoted through the lower leagues and managed to reach the "Segunda división" (2nd tier) in 2003, where they held for four seasons, even getting close to promotion to the "Primera división" (1st tier) a couple of times.

Then, in 2007, the Ciudad de Murcia was bought out from its founders by the owner of Granada 74, who took the team, renamed it Granada 74 and brought it to Granada, turning the "proper" Granada 74 into their B team. This new Granada 74 played one season in Segunda, got relegated to Segunda B and folded after getting relegated once again in the next season.

Since then I believe that restrictions have been established that prevent individuals from controlling more than one team within Spain (besides B teams)-

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2023, 02:52:29 AMBut there's a Maccabi Wien these days.

Do the teams under the Maccabi name share any kind of common ideal? I know that, at least in Israel itself, the clubs named Hapoel are traditionally linked to the left wing, the working class and unions. Their shield doesn't leave much to the imagination either:

In the Israeli 1st division there are like half a dozen each of different Maccabis and Hapoels.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 17, 2023, 09:32:08 PMAny cases of European football clubs upping sticks and moving to another town like American sports teams often do?

In Portugal, there is a dispute about the "real" Belenenses (a club in a former suburb of Lisbon) so two teams claim the name but the new one is Belenenses SAD (B-SAD) and the old one, starting from the bottom gets to keep the old official name Os Belenenses.
In practical terms, the fake new one can only play in the old National stadium, Jamor, in Lisbon, while the old one keeps the stadium in Belém (people from Belém = Belenenses).

Now that I think of it, about untranslated English names, besides the obvious ones such as Sporting (Desportivo), there is the SLB, still called officially Sport Lisboa e Benfica, not Desporto Lisboa e Benfica.

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on January 18, 2023, 06:57:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2023, 02:47:26 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 17, 2023, 02:42:47 PMIt's not like this is a new phenomenon. "Euro-style football names" are for the most part (not all) "English-style football names". We just aped them first. Give them years and they will start to feel less tacky.

Not every country can have beautiful club initials like German.
VfL = Verein für Leibesübungen (e.g. VfL Bochum)
VfB = Verein für Ballsport (e.g. VfB Stuttgart)
Spvgg = Spielvereinigung (basically the equivalent of United, e.g. Unterhaching)
TSV = Turnsportverein (e.g. TSV 1860 München)
FC (Fußballclub) or SC (Sportclub) are pretty common, though. :P
(Plus some German specialties, e.g. Kaiserreich names like Borussia or Arminia, or former GDR names like Dynamo (=Stasi clubs) or Carl-Zeiss)

IN MLS, Houston is Houston Dynamo. I don't think there is a Stasi connection, though.

How did it work in former eastern bloc countries? AFAIK in the Soviet Union itself it was CSKA for the Army, Dynamo for the KGB/Police, Lokomotiv for the railways, Spartak was for the labour unions and Torpedo was for car factory workers.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Gups

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 17, 2023, 10:25:54 PMMilton Keynes Dons FC moved from south London where they were known has Wimbledon FC in 2004.

Can't see anything similar happening again.

FunkMonk

The one time I'm rooting for Tottenham they go Spursy in dramatic fashion  :lol:

Zoupa

The whole time, I was sure we were gonna lose it somehow. When City decide to turn the machine, there's just not much you can do.  :(

celedhring

Dani Alves arrested and remanded for alleged rape.

FunkMonk

Juve deducted 15 points for their usual corruption. Interesting.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 20, 2023, 05:21:50 PMJuve deducted 15 points for their usual corruption. Interesting.

As a long time Napoli fan...this makes me happy.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Yet they keep rising to the top again. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Seems the Conte era at Spurs is coming to an end.

https://twitter.com/TottenhamTiers/status/1617108710651793411?s=20&t=H4mj_f16139HY7sjKzCwuQ

Quote@DiMarzio
 [🥇] "The news I can tell you with certainty is that Antonio Conte will leave #thfc at the end of the season. There was no spark, his contract is expiring and the club has not asked him for a renewal."