News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2023, 01:20:40 PMLooking at a list - one of the worst contenders might be Real Salt Lake, which is neither Spanish, nor has any connection to royalty.

It's obviously to distinguish it from Fake Salt Lake and Imitation Salt Lake.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2023, 01:20:40 PMLooking at a list - one of the worst contenders might be Real Salt Lake, which is neither Spanish, nor has any connection to royalty.

It's either them or Inter Miami :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2023, 01:20:40 PMI'm up on the air with the former team Chivas USA, which was meant to be the 'little brother' to the Mexican team Chivas de Guadalajara, and had common ownership.  The team ultimately folded in 2014.

In that way it's funny how the two New York teams belong to larger international groups, one to the City group and another one to the Red Bull group.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2023, 01:30:32 PM

Inter Miami CF.  :P

Full name (just checked it): Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami.

Josephus

When MLS first started out, it still retained the North American sounding names. So you had New England Revolution, Kansas City Wizards (yikes), Dallas Burn (yikes squared) and San Jose Clash (no really).

Thankfully reason prevailed.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on January 17, 2023, 01:41:58 PMWhen MLS first started out, it still retained the North American sounding names. So you had New England Revolution, Kansas City Wizards (yikes), Dallas Burn (yikes squared) and San Jose Clash (no really).

The Tampa Bay Mutiny!

The Larch

I personally don't mind the American style franchise names, they're certainly much more authentic than the faux-European style names more prevalent lately.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on January 17, 2023, 01:41:58 PMWhen MLS first started out, it still retained the North American sounding names. So you had New England Revolution, Kansas City Wizards (yikes), Dallas Burn (yikes squared) and San Jose Clash (no really).

:bash:  :bash:  :bash:  :bash:  :bash:  :bash:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on January 17, 2023, 01:38:00 PM

I dunno - can't really criticize them for using a spanish name in Miami, and it's as "international" as Milan is - they do play against Canadian teams, and have international players on their roster.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

There you have the answer - they changed the names to faux European names to appeal to folks like Josephus.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 17, 2023, 02:16:22 PMThere you have the answer - they changed the names to faux European names to appeal to folks like Josephus.

Now if only he would purchase season tickets.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2023, 02:03:33 PM

I dunno - can't really criticize them for using a spanish name in Miami, and it's as "international" as Milan is - they do play against Canadian teams, and have international players on their roster.

It's not like this is a new phenomenon. "Euro-style football names" are for the most part (not all) "English-style football names". We just aped them first. Give them years and they will start to feel less tacky.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 17, 2023, 02:42:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2023, 02:03:33 PM

It's not like this is a new phenomenon. "Euro-style football names" are for the most part (not all) "English-style football names". We just aped them first. Give them years and they will start to feel less tacky.

But that's because many of those clubs were actually founded by English people. In fact many of the English-er names have not survived, as the clubs changed their names over time. For instance, AC Milan was founded as "Milan Foot-Ball and Cricket club".

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2023, 02:19:38 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 17, 2023, 02:16:22 PMThere you have the answer - they changed the names to faux European names to appeal to folks like Josephus.

Now if only he would purchase season tickets.

Nah...can't make all the games, so it would be a waste...but i do go to between 4-6 games a year.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

It works both ways, though. So there's an American Football league in Europe., mostly in Germany.
Here are the team names:

the Berlin Thunder, Cologne Centurions, Frankfurt Galaxy, Hamburg Sea Devils, Leipzig Kings and Stuttgart Surge in Germany, and Barcelona Dragons in Spain.

So that league decided to adopt the American way of naming teams (kudos to Frankfurt Galaxy for lack of imagination on that one). They also went with English nicknames, so no Leipzig Konigs or Barcelona Dragones.
Civis Romanus Sum