News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 04, 2022, 11:22:13 AMWith that goal Giroud has become France's all time top scorer.
I love it. I love how unfancied he is as a player and in his way unglamorous - but also so decorated and scoring some really important goals. It's great.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 03, 2022, 11:15:38 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 03, 2022, 10:25:11 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 03, 2022, 07:07:03 PMIt's because there is too many leagues and top talent is too distributed among them.

You're aware that the Premier League exists, right?

Yes. 1 top league amongst 55 top leagues in UEFA.

There's only 1, Rashford, of the current 6 3 goals scorers at the WC that plays in the PL.

:lmfao:

I guess you never heard of the big 4, really more of a 2+2, i.e EPL+Liga + Bundesliga + Serie A, with the others behind : Ligue 1 without Qatari gas, Primeira Liga, Eredivise, Ligue Jupiler etc. trying to exist.

Last time a non Big 4 or even Big 5 side won the CL was in 2004.
Only Superleague band wagoners/footixes would want less uncertainty.

Duque de Bragança

Well, Poland put up quite some resistance, until the second goal, having some chances they did not use but now it's 3-0, two goals by Kyky. Competent play by les Bleus, specially in the second half.

Duque de Bragança

Penalty for Poland to at least score a goal.

Very badly taken by Lewandowski but second chance given since French players entered too son.

Second attempt is successful however, almost taken the same way.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 04, 2022, 11:47:44 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 04, 2022, 11:22:13 AMWith that goal Giroud has become France's all time top scorer.
I love it. I love how unfancied he is as a player and in his way unglamorous - but also so decorated and scoring some really important goals. It's great.

I've always loved Giroud. Even after he dunked on Arsenal in Baku, I still have still have a soft spot for him.

Wenger plucked him out of France and created a monster  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 04, 2022, 11:58:54 AM

I've always loved Giroud. Even after he dunked on Arsenal in Baku, I still have still have a soft spot for him.

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 04, 2022, 11:58:54 AM

Now that he has managed to keep his elbows under control, unlike 2014 WC, he's fine now, just as long you don't listen to him speaking French.  :P

The Larch

Mbappe is 23 and has already scored 33 international goals, 19 less than Giroud, so at some point before he's even 28 or so he should become France's top scorer and keep that spot for ages.

Duque de Bragança

No question about that, Giroud did not score a single goal in the 2018 World Cup, for instance.

The question how Mbappé will handle his later career, around 30 or so, when his running is no longer as fast as today.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 04, 2022, 12:31:43 PMNo question about that, Giroud did not score a single goal in the 2018 World Cup, for instance.

The question how Mbappé will handle his later career, around 30 or so, when his running is no longer as fast as today.

If he's smart he should model his late career on Messi rather than CR, with whom he admittedly shares more of a profile with.

The Larch

BTW, I can imagine some Qataris feeling all bothered up by this Mbappe and Giroud's goal celebration.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 04, 2022, 12:34:05 PMIf he's smart he should model his late career on Messi rather than CR, with whom he admittedly shares more of a profile with.
I think he'll be fine and will be able to shift his game. But I basically just think him and Haaland are cheat codes for the next decade.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 04, 2022, 12:38:37 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 04, 2022, 12:34:05 PMIf he's smart he should model his late career on Messi rather than CR, with whom he admittedly shares more of a profile with.
I think he'll be fine and will be able to shift his game. But I basically just think him and Haaland are cheat codes for the next decade.

Yeah, top players nowadays take so much care of themselves that I feel they'll have great longevity.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 04, 2022, 11:49:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 03, 2022, 07:07:03 PMIt's because there is too many leagues and top talent is too distributed among them.

There's only 1, Rashford, of the current 6 3 goals scorers at the WC that plays in the PL.

I guess you never heard of the big 4, really more of a 2+2, i.e EPL+Liga + Bundesliga + Serie A, with the others behind : Ligue 1 without Qatari gas, Primeira Liga, Eredivise, Ligue Jupiler etc. trying to exist.

Too. many. leagues.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on December 04, 2022, 12:34:05 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 04, 2022, 12:31:43 PMNo question about that, Giroud did not score a single goal in the 2018 World Cup, for instance.

If he's smart he should model his late career on Messi rather than CR, with whom he admittedly shares more of a profile with.

Problem is he is not that skilled compared to both, Cristiano Ronaldo was never just a foot runner somewhat skilled with the ball, and successfully changed his play style, for a more efficient role, difficult end of career notwithstanding.
It's not that Messi's pre-retirement in a Qatar-owned club is very convincing compared to his Barça career.

The Mbappé clan already caused some problems in the French squad, with the Rabiot clan (Rabiot is even more of a momma's boy), so he will have to deal with that as well, compared to the twitter storms in a teapot caused by CR sisters or mother.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 04, 2022, 01:10:46 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 04, 2022, 11:49:03 AM

Too. many. leagues.

Not everything has to NBA bling bling style, you know.
6-8 really relevant ones for Europe is not that much.