News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2022, 04:04:24 PMSo is Belgium just not very good anymore? 

There's been stories of huge discord in the dressing room. Players have been publicly calling each other out recently too.

The players are good but not much of a team anymore.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 28, 2022, 04:07:02 PM
QuoteThe ENTIRE Juventus board has resigned ahead of an extraordinary assembly.

President Andrea Agnelli is no longer in charge and Maurizio Arrivabene will take interim charge.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGolazo/status/1597330009429274625?t=i5svbThsZqJdTbb4Bjdfjg&s=19

Anyone know what's up at Juve? Is it huge corruption again?

Gotta be to get ahead of a scandal/lawsuit.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 28, 2022, 04:08:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2022, 04:04:24 PMSo is Belgium just not very good anymore? 

There's been stories of huge discord in the dressing room. Players have been publicly calling each other out recently too.

Plus they're old.

*edit* BB, you can cheer for Portugal :hug:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2022, 04:10:55 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 28, 2022, 04:08:23 PM

Plus they're old.

*edit* BB, you can cheer for Portugal :hug:

Normally I'd default to Ukraine, but they aren't in it either. :(

Going down the list I'll be cheering for Brazil due to my sister-in-law.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

At least the speak the same language... sort of lol

HVC

Quote from: HVC on November 27, 2022, 12:22:40 PMWas trying to figure out why people were booing when the Canadian goalie had the ball, then I remembered Borjan is a serb.

More info on fans taunting Borjan.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/borjan-targeted-croatian-fans-world-cup

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2022, 04:04:24 PMI was all hyped for the World Cup ever since Canada qualified, but now two quick games later and the dream is over.  At least we have the "never scored a goal" monkey off our back - but still have to win (or at least tie) a game.

It was more or less to be expected. Think that the team will be better for the next one, in which you'll play at home.

QuoteSo is Belgium just not very good anymore?

They're at the tail end of a golden generation, morale seems to be low (see De Bruyne's "we have no chance, we're too old" comments), some key players are on very bad form, like Hazard and Lukaku, and to top it all off it seems that the locker room atmosphere is not exactly amazing.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 28, 2022, 04:07:02 PM
QuoteThe ENTIRE Juventus board has resigned ahead of an extraordinary assembly.

President Andrea Agnelli is no longer in charge and Maurizio Arrivabene will take interim charge.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGolazo/status/1597330009429274625?t=i5svbThsZqJdTbb4Bjdfjg&s=19

Anyone know what's up at Juve? Is it huge corruption again?

Yup, they're under investigation for false accounting, their budget for next year fell through and there's shareholder turnmoil.

Josquius

Oh dear.

I haven't paid attention to series A at all for a while.
A quick check of tables in recent years and it actually looks like it may be the most open of the major leagues? I guess the football sucks though?
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on November 28, 2022, 04:52:41 PMOh dear.

A quick check of tables in recent years and it actually looks like it may be the most open of the major leagues? I guess the football sucks though?

Why would you say that? Premier League is pretty open too. It's more competitive this year. Napoli, doing well. Juve (scandal aside) got off to poor start, but doing well of late.  Milan, Lazio, Inter still in it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

I'd actually say they're going through a bit of a revival. They have three teams in the CL knockout stage, the last three seasons have had three different champions, there are several challengers for the title, there are interesting young players being signed... why would the football suck?

Admiral Yi

Nice whiff by the Ghanian dude.  Is Korea out now?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2022, 05:56:05 PM

I'd actually say they're going through a bit of a revival. They have three teams in the CL knockout stage, the last three seasons have had three different champions, there are several challengers for the title, there are interesting young players being signed... why would the football suck?

Definately. Serie A is definately on the rise in terms of openess, quality and entertainment.

Josquius

Quoted actually say they're going through a bit of a revival. They have three teams in the CL knockout stage, the last three seasons have had three different champions, there are several challengers for the title, there are interesting young players being signed... why would the football suck?
It used to have a big reputation for being quite boring and overly defensive.

Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2022, 05:04:58 PM

Why would you say that? Premier League is pretty open too. It's more competitive this year. Napoli, doing well. Juve (scandal aside) got off to poor start, but doing well of late.  Milan, Lazio, Inter still in it.

4 of the past 5 years Man City won the premiership vs just 3 of 5 for Juventus who are now imploding, and 2 separate other teams.
I'm particularly fascinated to see Atalanta and Napoli up there. They used to be pretty meh.
██████
██████
██████