News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Btw, if the weird Saudi Arabia - Egypt - Greece gets it it'd mean almost surely another winter WC. I doubt that'll be appreciated.

The Larch

Another thing that is worth discussing. If the massive South American bid (4 countries and maybe even more hosting) gets it, would all those countries get to qualify automatically as hosts?  :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on October 04, 2022, 05:47:41 AMEdit: *shakes fist at Duque*

Shake your fist at those who mixed up Galiza with (ukrainian) Galicia.  :P

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on October 04, 2022, 06:02:11 AMAnother thing that is worth discussing. If the massive South American bid (4 countries and maybe even more hosting) gets it, would all those countries get to qualify automatically as hosts?  :hmm:
I have heard talk of expanding the amount of teams in the WC too?
Qualifying as a host is fine, except when its taking someone else's spot.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on October 04, 2022, 06:06:42 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 04, 2022, 06:02:11 AMAnother thing that is worth discussing. If the massive South American bid (4 countries and maybe even more hosting) gets it, would all those countries get to qualify automatically as hosts?  :hmm:
I have heard talk of expanding the amount of teams in the WC too?

It's expanding to 48 countries for the 2026 WC.

QuoteQualifying as a host is fine, except when its taking someone else's spot.

For 2026 CONCACAF will feature 6 countries, as the 3 hosts are from that federation, with other 2 teams competing in palyoffs. Yay to Antigua & Barbuda in the WC!  :P

Duque de Bragança

Clandestino must be going crazy. After an opening goal by Trincão on the very first Sporting attack, best possible start, they suffered 2 goals including a countered (!) goalkeeper 6 metre kick (fluke of the CL night I bet).  :hmm:

PS: it's over now. Goalkeeper got a red card for a handball outside of the penalty area and Marseille now leads 3-1.

Duque de Bragança

Well, at least Porto won.

Porto 2
Bayer Leverkusen 0

Taremi was back and it shows: 2 assistances and a VAR denied goal.
The Porto GK saved a penalty however, so Bayer had its chances in the first half. They ended with 10 players so the next game in Germany will be without him and another one who accumulated yellows.

Tomorrow the other Lisbon club will have a hard time against PSG-QSI.

Duque de Bragança

More thrashings yesterday following the Marseille 4 Sporting 1

Ajax Amsterdam 1 Naples 6 (biggest upset of the night and worst defeat ever for Ajax?)

Bayern 5 Viktoria Pilzen 0 (lots of pils needed to forget I guess)

Also, Barça lost to Inter 0-1 but with a much smaller margin and some controversial calls by the referee.

celedhring

FunkMonk

Champions League is old and boring.  :yucky:

The new hotness is the intense action of the incredible Europa League, led by the plucky Gunners of North London. Tune in Thursday as they face, uhhhh, Bodo/Glimt from, uh, Norway I think.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Maladict

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 04, 2022, 05:59:53 AMBtw, if the weird Saudi Arabia - Egypt - Greece gets it it'd mean almost surely another winter WC. I doubt that'll be appreciated.
I feel like FIFA would absolutely love a World Cup involving three federations - even if no-one else in the world wants it :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on October 09, 2022, 06:30:51 AMEuro 2024 qualifying

Well, Group B with France and Netherlands may be interesting for the top 2 to watch. I doubt Gibraltar will decide who will qualify however.

As for Portugal, Group J favorite but unless Fernando Santos is given the boot, I don't expect a walk over victory. The fight for the second spot (or even first if the Selecção screws up) might be interesting with Bosnia, Iceland, Luxembourg (gave Portugal some trouble last time) and Slovakia. Liechtenstein might decide who goes as second.

Group A has Spain as huge favorite.

Group C could be interesting with Italy and England as favorites with Ukraine and North Macedonia as outsiders.
Group D and E seem weaker with respectively only Croatia & Turkey for the former, Poland and Czechia for the latter seeming somewhat ahead (Modric to play till 2024?). I see Armenia and Turkey in the same group, only missing Azerbaijan.

Group F has Belgium (last years of their best team in ages) as favorite with Sweden and Austria trying to secure one of the spots.

Group G seems very well balanced with Serbia and Hungary above in theory.

Group H has Denmark above, with 6 teams the average quality drops, specially with a team such as San Marino.  Finland as second? Kazakhstan gave them trouble last time.

Group I is for Switzerland to win, Romania is far from Hagi years but has a decent chance at it. Israel could hold the key. Switzerland-Kosovo will play like an Albanian derby.  :P

Jacob

How many team qualify from each group?

Duque de Bragança

First two i.e 20 .
Plus three more spots to be decided by the League of Nations. In practice, top teams will already be qualified in most cases so third best is possible.

Germany, being the organiser, is already qualified, it goes without saying.