News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Sunderland Til I Die was cute but this deluge of pompous football docs needs to DIAF.

Zoupa

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 19, 2022, 11:20:59 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 19, 2022, 11:03:40 AM:bleeding:  :thumbsdown:  :ike:  :angry:  :x  :bash:

:lol:

There's a Spurs one on Amazon too when Mourinho was manager if you're curious  :D

Watched a few, then got depressed about Sissoko, Augier and Dele not being with the team anymore and quite.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2022, 11:39:53 AMSunderland Til I Die was cute but this deluge of pompous football docs needs to DIAF.

Yeah, if I was a footballer and had my coach talking the way Arteta does in the dressing room in that trailer I'd quickly look for a different team.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on July 19, 2022, 12:12:33 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2022, 11:39:53 AMSunderland Til I Die was cute but this deluge of pompous football docs needs to DIAF.

Yeah, if I was a footballer and had my coach talking the way Arteta does in the dressing room in that trailer I'd quickly look for a different team.

They're only good when the team is shit.
I really enjoyed the Class of 92 Salford City one, a side of football you don't normally see.
Sunderland Till I Die was awesome of course.
But stuff like the Man City one...its just "Oh look at how great we are. No difficulties here. Buy our merc!"
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

I know it's just a meaningless friendly meant to build fitness and earn some money but MLS side Minnesota FC just defeated Everton 4-0.

Sheilbh bruhhhhhhhhh
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 20, 2022, 09:46:04 PMI know it's just a meaningless friendly meant to build fitness and earn some money but MLS side Minnesota FC just defeated Everton 4-0.

Sheilbh bruhhhhhhhhh

For the minnesota players it's the game of their life, their world Cup final.

For Everton it's a basic training game.

Did they have their full team out?
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I didn't see that game, but I imagine Minnesota probably didn't play their full XI for the whole game either. They probably are resting them for an upcoming league game.

I know that Toronto FC stopped hosting European squads in the summer for that reason. It was always mid season, games coming thick and fast, and they would normally field their junior squad anyway.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

The team I support just played against the San José Earthquakes last night, it was 1-1.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, I read that the official fan club delegation of the German FA will not be housed in Qatar due to lack of space, and they will be flown in from Dubai (ca. 500km) for each match. Apparently there's fairly few accomodations in Qatar itself, so their airline expects during peak times up to 200,000 fans to be flown in on shuttle planes on some days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on July 21, 2022, 05:42:09 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 20, 2022, 09:46:04 PMI know it's just a meaningless friendly meant to build fitness and earn some money but MLS side Minnesota FC just defeated Everton 4-0.

Sheilbh bruhhhhhhhhh

For the minnesota players it's the game of their life, their world Cup final.

For Everton it's a basic training game.

Did they have their full team out?

Didn't watch their friendly but if it was like the ones I have watched (Arsenal, Chelsea, Bayern) both sides would have rotated through their starters and reserves. Arsenal's reserves and castoffs were getting bossed by Orlando City until the first XI came on in the second half.

Not making any assumptions at all about based on a preseason friendly but it is funny to see that scoreline.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Sheilbh bruhhhhhhhhh
There are many concerns right now :weep:

Not too worried about this game though. More what we're hearing about transfers. But still - not great :(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on July 21, 2022, 06:59:44 AMAlso, I read that the official fan club delegation of the German FA will not be housed in Qatar due to lack of space, and they will be flown in from Dubai (ca. 500km) for each match. Apparently there's fairly few accomodations in Qatar itself, so their airline expects during peak times up to 200,000 fans to be flown in on shuttle planes on some days.

AFAIK they were going to build a massive tent village in the desert to be able to host many of the visiting fans, and were going to have some cruise ships permanently moored in the port to increase the number of available accomodation. They are also building "fan villages" with temporary accomodation in what seem to be refurbished shipping containers.

Qatar apparently only has 30k hotel rooms, most of them in luxury hotels, and most of those are already taken by the country's delegations and the organization for the event, media and the like. They expect to have tripled this with new hotels being built for the WC, but they'll still won't be enough.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on July 21, 2022, 07:36:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 21, 2022, 06:59:44 AMAlso, I read that the official fan club delegation of the German FA will not be housed in Qatar due to lack of space, and they will be flown in from Dubai (ca. 500km) for each match. Apparently there's fairly few accomodations in Qatar itself, so their airline expects during peak times up to 200,000 fans to be flown in on shuttle planes on some days.

AFAIK they were going to build a massive tent village in the desert to be able to host many of the visiting fans, and were going to have some cruise ships permanently moored in the port to increase the number of available accomodation. They are also building "fan villages" with temporary accomodation in what seem to be refurbished shipping containers.

Qatar apparently only has 30k hotel rooms, most of them in luxury hotels, and most of those are already taken by the country's delegations and the organization for the event, media and the like. They expect to have tripled this with new hotels being built for the WC, but they'll still won't be enough.

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in the thread. It'd horrible. Especially in light of the past few days and the climate catastrophe - this whole world Cup already wasn't great there.
It's mad how planning for this wasn't at the core of their work and giving them the cup in the first place.
██████
██████
██████