News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Larch on June 27, 2022, 02:23:55 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 27, 2022, 02:21:05 PMBtw larchie I will shortly be brushing up on my knowledge of Brazilian internationals because apparently Arsenal are buying all of them

Isn't that a bit risky, btw? It's not as if Brazilians have been wildly successful in the Premier League historically speaking.

Arsenal already have two young Brazilian internationals and they both had a good season. Gabriel Jesus from ManCity is signing and they're supposedly in for Raphina from Leeds and they've both proven themselves in the Prem for years so that risk is minimized. Or at least it should be  :lol:

Edu Gaspar is Arsenal's technical director so they're leaning heavily on the Brazilian connections  :ph34r:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 27, 2022, 03:05:34 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 27, 2022, 01:55:36 PMYeah it's for people with like encyclopedic knowledge of every league, but still a dumb little time waster for the rest of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ9myHhpS9s

Monty Python did it first

:lol:

Sheilbh

Seen online - incredible Wikipedia entry:

People online confirming it is indeed a thing and Koreans are quite surprised that Brits don't have this phrase :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

QuoteOFFICIAL: Italian Serie B side Palermo are now owned by the City Football Group.
https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1542811266464600065?t=5pGzTHVh1bYW4Fk1LWLJhw&s=19

Most clubs go out and sign players. Manchester City signs other clubs  :lol:  :(

celedhring

They already own Girona in Spain, which have just been promoted to La Liga.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2022, 09:09:56 AMSeen online - incredible Wikipedia entry:

People online confirming it is indeed a thing and Koreans are quite surprised that Brits don't have this phrase :lol:

Amazing.
I am trying but struggling to think of a weirder spread of a phrase to something so unrelated but am struggling. Surely something standard in English fits the bill (fits the bill itself?)
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 02, 2022, 01:47:43 AMThey already own Girona in Spain, which have just been promoted to La Liga.

And teams in the MLS (New York City), Australia (Melbourne City), Uruguay (Montevideo City), India (Mumbay City), France (Troyes), Belgium (Lommel), Japan (Yokohama Marinos) and China (Sichuan Jiuniu).

Then there's the Red Bull group, with teams in Germany, Austria, US, Brazil and Ghana.

Aaah, modern corporate football...  :bleeding:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 02, 2022, 02:44:39 AMAmazing.
I am trying but struggling to think of a weirder spread of a phrase to something so unrelated but am struggling. Surely something standard in English fits the bill (fits the bill itself?)

I propose when Iraqis started calling pickup trucks "Lewinskys."

The Larch

Apparently Eriksen is joining Man United, and Cristiano Ronaldo no-showed the first training season. Aaah, off season drama!

Jacob

Eriksen at Man U? I guess he's recovered alright by now, then :cheers:

Andreas Christensen from Chelsea to Barca.

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2022, 11:55:11 AMEriksen at Man U? I guess he's recovered alright by now, then :cheers:

He already played 11 games in the 2nd half of last season at Brentford, showing that he could play again at the top level. It was being rumoured that he could go back to Tottenham until Man United showed up. I believe he's signing for 3 years with them, which definitely shows that he's back for good.

Sheilbh

Although 3 years on three times what he was earning at Brentford, at the age of 30 feels like a very Man United decision :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 04, 2022, 12:41:05 PMAlthough 3 years on three times what he was earning at Brentford, at the age of 30 feels like a very Man United decision :ph34r:

Well, I  guess that his wages at Brentford were not really a good reference point, as he signed with them on the cheap on a short deal just to show that he could still play at the top.

But yeah, it looks quite generous, at least on the length side. Given his background I imagine he could have settled for something like 1+1 season, or 2+1 if you need to make it three, just to cover your back. 3 seasons outright might bite Man United in the butt in a couple of years.

Zoupa

Spurs signed Richarlison :bleeding:

Dude is a shit-stirrer of some magnitude. I can see this backfiring.

Admiral Yi

Finally poor Shelf is free to hate him.