News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

If England fans can get drunk in the stadium then they unleash themselves on Qatar, that should be priceless.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2022, 05:38:10 PMIf England fans can get drunk in the stadium then they unleash themselves on Qatar, that should be priceless.

Good luck with getting drunk with 0.5 % "beer" (already sold in stadia for Russia 2018 or France 2016 (EURO) or 0.1 % hallal beer for the Wahhabi sheikdom.

Leaves the real drinking to VIP lounges. WAD.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 14, 2022, 06:42:56 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2022, 05:38:10 PMIf England fans can get drunk in the stadium then they unleash themselves on Qatar, that should be priceless.

Good luck with getting drunk with 0.5 % "beer" (already sold in stadia for Russia 2018 or France 2016 (EURO) or 0.1 % hallal beer for the Wahhabi sheikdom.

Leaves the real drinking to VIP lounges. WAD.

:lol:

Too true Duque.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2022, 04:38:51 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2022, 04:26:47 PMI believe - and I could be wrong here - that for the World Cup stadiums become FIFAland. Just like the IOC has some weird jurisdiction over the Olympics sites.

I think partner venues like hotels also have to meet FIFA rules which will, I imagine, include selling the sponsors' products. Which I think is probably how Qatar functions anyway - like Dubai or Abu Dhabi you can drink in hotels and bars for expats/tourists. I think the hotels even have to be "non-discriminatory" to openly gay fans (not that I imagine many will be going to Qatar).

The whole thing is just going to be so grim :(

I mentioned this years ago...

The Women's World Cup was held in Canada in 2015.  Some of the games were held in Edmonton.

As per FIFA rules my then 5 year old could not play his scheduled soccer game one day because it was scheduled for the same time as a World Cup match.  Because obviously I would then turn around and take a 5 year old to an expensive World Cup game, instead of him kicking a ball around at the local park.

For the WC 2026, Fifa asks for a total entertainment blank slate. Montreal has 2 pro summer teams and Festivals on going from early June to late August/early September. Montreal, wisely, will not host any WC games.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Tamas, how conflicted do you feel about tonight's game?  :P

FunkMonk

England should sack Southgate and bring in Wenger :contract:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on June 14, 2022, 04:18:13 PMTamas, how conflicted do you feel about tonight's game?  :P

Very.

Can't help feeling happy for Hungary, but also humiliating for England, and it's making racist scum among the Hungarian fans happy not to mention Orban, so those are big negatives. Then again it makes scum among the English fans unhappy so that's a plus.

BTW after repeated booing during the kneeling of the England team, apparently England fans yelled "racist scum" or something to that effect during the Hungarian anthem. England and Hungary fans - what a nice pot and kettle situation.

Duque de Bragança

Good thing England lost at home by the biggest margin since the 1920s, since France got beaten again at home by Croatia (1-0) ; having a well-trained midfield with the likes of Modric certainly beats the improvisation Deschamps offered though he had not much choice. Very uninspired Bleus, with Griezmann really in a bad spell, Kyky made no miracles unlike last time in Vienna, a dangerous pitch that famous Ernst Happel Stadion, as seen from the previous Austria-Denmark:

Being last of the group, les Bleus have to stay in League A in September.

Germany 5 Italy 2
2-0 by half-time and 5-0, 5 minutes before regulation time. Really dominated by die Mannschaft (did the name change by the way? :D) vs a very green Squadra Azzura.

Switzerland 1 Portugal 0

Following the 4-0 success in Lisbon, the Selecção was too experimental, in a bad way, and the Swiss scored one of the fastest goals ever (56 seconds in) and managed to defend their advantage helped by an uninspired Selecção and coach. Bruno Fernandes a burden, as always, Nuno Mendes a disappointment, same for Leão, despite their great season with their respective clubs.
Bernardo Silva entered too late, with the Selecção performing better in the second half but not enough. Also, the Swiss GK had the game of his life, 9 saves, though his foot skills leave to desire same goes for Rui Patrício in a lesser way).

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2022, 01:36:58 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 14, 2022, 04:18:13 PMTamas, how conflicted do you feel about tonight's game?  :P

Very.

Can't help feeling happy for Hungary, but also humiliating for England, and it's making racist scum among the Hungarian fans happy not to mention Orban, so those are big negatives. Then again it makes scum among the English fans unhappy so that's a plus.

BTW after repeated booing during the kneeling of the England team, apparently England fans yelled "racist scum" or something to that effect during the Hungarian anthem. England and Hungary fans - what a nice pot and kettle situation.

I dunno. Dishonoring people for being racists does give England fans +5pts in my book.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Jacob

Ooh... going to try to get tickets.

HVC

With the exception of Montreal don't know if other cities could host. Maybe cfl stadiums, but I don't know about capacity.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Montreal declined to host mainly because of FIFA's insane rules about other events.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████