News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Property prices thread

Started by Tamas, April 06, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on November 13, 2023, 06:54:05 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 13, 2023, 06:51:43 AMI'm less disdainful of landlords then I am of airbnb assholes. I mean rentals have to come from somewhere. Not all of them are slum lords. But yes, fuck the bad land lords.

Sure. I'm fine with land lords being a thing that exists. Rentals are needed.
What I really hate though is buy to let. People who get a loan specifically to buy a property to rent out, having renters pay off their mortgage with a bit of profit.

Being heavily leveraged as a landlord is just a really risky and reckless thing to do. Being a landlord has all kinds of costs and risks and these guys are just gambling they won't have big repairs and their properties will increase in value and rents will go up and so forth.

Their reckless decision to heavily leveraging themselves is not anybody's responsibility but theirs. I guess it just depends on how systemic it is that landlords have big mortgages to be paid off.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Dishonest crap continues even from the Guardian: "highest property price rise in 10 months!" then you read it and it turns out it's asking prices on rightmove do nothing to do with property prices: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/mar/18/house-prices-rise-in-biggest-increase-for-10-months

Admiral Yi

Tamas, you're a perfect data point to demonstrate the validity of my latest Great Truth.  Namely, that people do things that make them angry because anger is a pleasurable emotion.  This was Roger Ailes profound insight when he founded Fox.

HVC

Like with roller coaster, but with rage?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2024, 08:18:24 PMTamas, you're a perfect data point to demonstrate the validity of my latest Great Truth.  Namely, that people do things that make them angry because anger is a pleasurable emotion.  This was Roger Ailes profound insight when he founded Fox.

:huh: if you are implying that people should avoid reading news that upsets them despite what's in there and why it is written having considerable impact on their lives, then you are a great data point for one my Great Truths: systems like Orban's work because people want to be lead and want comfortable lies created for them so they can shed feelings of responsibility.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2024, 04:09:09 AM:huh: if you are implying that people should avoid reading news that upsets them despite what's in there and why it is written having considerable impact on their lives, then you are a great data point for one my Great Truths: systems like Orban's work because people want to be lead and want comfortable lies created for them so they can shed feelings of responsibility.

But Orban' lies are not "comfortable" lies.  They are threatening lies.  Danger lurks.  We are under assault by the Jew  moneymen and gays and dirty immigrants.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2024, 06:37:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2024, 04:09:09 AM:huh: if you are implying that people should avoid reading news that upsets them despite what's in there and why it is written having considerable impact on their lives, then you are a great data point for one my Great Truths: systems like Orban's work because people want to be lead and want comfortable lies created for them so they can shed feelings of responsibility.

But Orban' lies are not "comfortable" lies.  They are threatening lies.  Danger lurks.  We are under assault by the Jew  moneymen and gays and dirty immigrants.

They are comfortable lies because it gives a clearly defined reason for all the problems in your life, and a man/party who is fighting for you.  You just need to give them power and they'll take care of it.

Sheilbh

I think both are maybe true. It is, on a political level, a comfortable lie (and, to an extent, all "explanations" in politics are) that is not necessarily challenging as a belief to hold.

But I also think that in somme cases there is a libidinal/pleasure principle side of it which has an impact on the form of that politics. Trump is, I think, the most extreme example (and before him it was Berlusconi) of that I think. It's also true of Fox News - it's a dopamine hit and pure id.

Though I'm not sure the extent it applies to all of the different "Trumpian" or populist or radical right movements. For example, I think if you look at some of the European movements like Le Pen in France or Meloni in Italy, they're very much repressing that in order to achieve and/or maintain power. I think Orban probably falls into this category too - I'm not sure Orban supporters get the same vicarious thrill that I think Trump ones do.
Let's bomb Russia!