Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2024, 05:09:37 PMDidn't spot this at the time, but on countries sharing boats - I can only imagine the Portugal, Qatar and North Korea boat must have been a bit weird :lol:

Unfair for Portugal to be lumped with those two.  :thumbsdown:

The joys of the alphabet P,Q,R (epublic of juche Korea).

Enough to ruin a photo.

Norgy

To be fair, Portugal spawned the one who said he was rubed at the beach  :hug:

Josquius

It's a surprise no country has ever changed its name primarily to switch seats at international events.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2024, 09:29:34 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2024, 11:41:20 AMThis sounds very much like the Russian argument as to why they invaded Ukraine:  "they were mean so they forced me to invade."  The UK had peace after the Treaty of Amiens and they unilaterally broke the peace.

I don't think the analogy in the first sentence holds although I definitely agree with the second sentence.

The war party in Britain feared the growth in French power under Bonaparte, viewed conflict with the traditional rival as inevitable and were worried that waiting further could result in further consolidation of power by France and a weakening of Britain's relative position.

Napoleon invaded Russia in 1812 for pretty much that exact reason, so it's not like that thinking was unique to the UK.  My argument was simply that Napoleon becoming emperor was not the result of personal vainglory nor were his wars all the results of French aggression. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!