Low Intensity vs High Intensity Warfare - Channelling Zombie Bob MacNamara

Started by mongers, July 15, 2011, 08:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2011, 03:14:38 PM

Anyway, I was being a little facetious, but McNamara shook up a stupid nuclear weapons policy and helped guide the crafting of nuclear war plans that, while horrible, didn't have to be apocalyptic.  He got a lot of flak for that, and there's a certain amount of logic to the criticism, but if nuclear war had come, I'd have rather my leaders have constructed methods of limiting or ending the conflict at a level short of "complete exhaustion of nuclear stockpiles or total destruction of all major population centers."
I would argue that McNamara did, as you say, shake up the nuclear weapons policies of both sides, though I think the most important effect of his rational exploration of nuclear weapons policy was to show just how fucking frightening any contemplated use of nuke could become.

I'd argue that the French doctrine on nuclear weapons made his doctrines useless and even pointless, but that wasn't so well known at the time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 16, 2011, 06:29:33 PM
I'd argue that the French doctrine on nuclear weapons made his doctrines useless and even pointless, but that wasn't so well known at the time.

And even now, unlike the US who has yet to come out and make it official policy, the French have made it quite clear that their nuclear deterrent is a viable retaliatory option for all means of weapons of mass destruction.  And they have had no aversion to reinstituting the policy of the warning shot.

The French are just so damned cool sometimes.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2011, 06:39:35 PM

And even now, unlike the US who has yet to come out and make it official policy, the French have made it quite clear that their nuclear deterrent is a viable retaliatory option for all means of weapons of mass destruction.  And they have had no aversion to reinstituting the policy of the warning shot.

Yes, the notion of those Plutons on a hair trigger if anything Red should reach the far bank of the Rhine.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zoupa

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2011, 06:46:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2011, 06:39:35 PM

Yes, the notion of those Plutons on a hair trigger if anything Red should reach the far bank of the Rhine.  :cool:

I'm pretty sure they'd be nuked crossing the Oder, not the Rhine. Plus you get the added benefit of fucking up a piece of Lebensraum.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2011, 03:14:38 PM

Anyway, I was being a little facetious, but McNamara shook up a stupid nuclear weapons policy and helped guide the crafting of nuclear war plans that, while horrible, didn't have to be apocalyptic.  He got a lot of flak for that, and there's a certain amount of logic to the criticism, but if nuclear war had come, I'd have rather my leaders have constructed methods of limiting or ending the conflict at a level short of "complete exhaustion of nuclear stockpiles or total destruction of all major population centers."
I would argue that McNamara did, as you say, shake up the nuclear weapons policies of both sides, though I think the most important effect of his rational exploration of nuclear weapons policy was to show just how fucking frightening any contemplated use of nuke could become.

When did the French adopt that doctrine anyway?  After 1964?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017