51st state? California politician pushes secession plan

Started by KRonn, July 15, 2011, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2011, 08:39:18 PM
Cite?

Look at the same source you used to come up with all the crap you posted at the beginning of the thread.

ulmont

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 16, 2011, 08:43:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 16, 2011, 08:32:58 PM
When Texas joined up, wasn't there a clause that they could split up into multiple states, or am I remembering that wrong? :hmm:

Yeah. They can split into 5 according to the annexation act.

Overridden by the Civil War.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: ulmont on July 17, 2011, 01:13:30 PM

Not unless you count the secession as legal, and we don't. :contract:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2011, 02:23:21 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2011, 08:39:18 PM
Cite?

Look at the same source you used to come up with all the crap you posted at the beginning of the thread.

Please clarify.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 17, 2011, 01:52:26 PM
Quote from: ulmont on July 17, 2011, 01:13:30 PM

Not unless you count the secession as legal, and we don't. :contract:
The rebel states were readmitted though. Doesn't the terms of their readmittance trump the original?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on July 16, 2011, 05:52:20 PM
It looks like the proposal is to have southern california until approximately LA, and then exclude the coast up a bit further. So it isn't horribly geographically gerrymandered, but it isn't a strict north south split either. I don't know to the extent that captures the republican areas--but I guess it would get enough republicans out of the state legislature to keep them from blocking any tax increases.

It does capture a lot of the Repub areas; specifically San Diego and Orange Counties + the Inland Empire.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I think during the 19th century and perhaps the 20th several cities succeeded from their counties.  This turned out be an ill-advised move when the suburban sprawl happened.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Fate on July 16, 2011, 12:56:46 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 16, 2011, 03:49:10 AM
Quote from: Fate on July 15, 2011, 11:23:12 PM
The entire purpose of the split is to create a Republican state. If they carve out a Democratic state from Texas, then sure.  :lol:

Metropolexas - A state consisting of the downtown areas of Austin, Houston, Ft Worth, Dallas as well as the campus area of U of Texas at Austin.

:D

Although a more realistic option could be a state that encompass El Paso, Austin, San Antonio and the Rio Grande region. We could call it Tejas.

Then they can annex south and call themselves Aztlan.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2011, 01:36:32 PM
The entire purpose of the split is to create a Republican state. If they carve out a Democratic state from Texas, then sure.  :lol:

The entire stated purpose is to split off net revenue contributors from revenue consumers (i.e. LA).

What would be the population proportions of both states? Unless it is 50/50 it's hardly fair seeing how they would get the same number of senators.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 18, 2011, 04:37:19 AM
The entire stated purpose is to split off net revenue contributors from revenue consumers (i.e. LA).
What would be the population proportions of both states? Unless it is 50/50 it's hardly fair seeing how they would get the same number of senators.
That's the whole point, goof.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Unfair? Every state gets two senators. Not sure why this "Southern California" shouldn't get two if Delaware and Rhode Island get two.  San Diego alone is more populous than ether.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on July 18, 2011, 07:37:30 AM
That's the whole point, goof.
Give him a break.  In Poland, everyone theoretically gets the same number of taters, so Polacks think that that is the way everything works everywhere.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM