Can I has: Dance with Dragons?

Started by Martinus, July 12, 2011, 12:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2011, 10:28:56 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 12, 2011, 09:53:51 PM

What else we had up to 1988?
Conan?

I'm afraid LOTR came way too late for me to impress me in the way young people are impressionable.

Most fantasy films (and medieval films from the 1980's and 1990's suck).  The problem is they are so dingy looking.  It's always overcast and everything looks washed out.  I think to many were filmed in Britain or something.

And nowadays they're just CGI-cartoons ala "Roger Rabbit".

Also, like Siege said, they're not really impressive.  Lord of the Rings was ok...but like many fantasy movies today, it just feels like they try to hard to be impressive, and it ends up being over-fantastical noise.

Willow was good in it's day, despite George Lucas trying to give midgets a job after being Ewoks.

Razgovory

I prefer the modern ones to be honest.  It's hard to have a lighthearted adventure when everything is grey.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 12, 2011, 11:01:48 PM

Conan?

I'm afraid LOTR came way too late for me to impress me in the way young people are impressionable.

Most fantasy films (and medieval films from the 1980's and 1990's suck).  The problem is they are so dingy looking.  It's always overcast and everything looks washed out.  I think to many were filmed in Britain or something.

Please stop. Roger Rabbit wasn't CGI so why associate it with it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

One Realm!  One God!  One King!  Stannis!  Stannis!

:pope:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

-minor spoilers-

on page 382 of the daenerys, jon, tyrion show. enjoying it thus far, aside from the overwhelming preference to the characters i've least interest in. post-blackwater tyrion is so emo. i like quentyn, and asha is badass as always. i'm anxiously awaiting reek's transformation into theon. the young griff reveal seemed very forced, ya think martin envisioned that since the beginning or bs'ed his way into it?

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on July 13, 2011, 03:01:34 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 12, 2011, 11:01:48 PM

Conan?

Please stop. Roger Rabbit wasn't CGI so why associate it with it?

I am thinking more in the spirit of extensive interaction of real-life actors with obvious fakes.  Roger Rabbit is merely the a representation of that idea.

Roger Rabbit itself as a film, I think was quite good.  And its case, that dichotomy was intentional, and appropriate.

In a film like, say, the last Indiana Jones, it was a clusterfuck.

Barrister

Only like 50 pages in, but enjoying it so far.

I remember how dull Crows felt because I wanted to hear what was happening to Jon, Bran, Arya and Dany...

(I haven't actually seen an Arya POV chapter yet, but I assume it's coming)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

That fucker Johan opened up a spoilerrific thread in P'dox OT without any kind of labelling whatsoever. The bastard!  :mad: :nerdrage:

Siege

Quote from: The Larch on July 14, 2011, 05:37:11 AM
That fucker Johan opened up a spoilerrific thread in P'dox OT without any kind of labelling whatsoever. The bastard!  :mad: :nerdrage:

Don't go there. Paradox is so 2001.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

And I paid for the danm book.

30 bucks.
Plus I a new edition of Guns, Germs and Steel. The best book evah written.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

HisMajestyBOB

I had a Borders coupon for ~50% off the hardcover if I preordered, but I didn't :(
I would get the book now, but Ghost Story comes out in about a week, and the Dresden Files takes precedence over SoIAF now. Especially since I last read the books in 2009.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 14, 2011, 09:26:25 AM
I had a Borders coupon for ~50% off the hardcover if I preordered, but I didn't :(
I would get the book now, but Ghost Story comes out in about a week, and the Dresden Files takes precedence over SoIAF now. Especially since I last read the books in 2009.

You tell me. I've started reading the Wheel of Time. That was a mistake. Especially since the french traduction doubles each book. I'm looking at buying 22 other books. I have 6 so far. Damn it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

I got a 30% discount from B&N and got it for a little less than $20.00.  Pretty good for a big hard back doorstop like ADWD.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

Went to Borders at the request of my niece, and it was on sale for 30% off, so I got it.
Still $25. Thanks for making me feel less good about it Valmy <_<
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help