Pastafarian wins right to wear strainer in driving licence photo

Started by Brazen, July 13, 2011, 09:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 13, 2011, 05:04:41 PM
:unsure:

Seems to me the only point this guy gets at is that in pluralistic society, confessional status can be established by any form of belief honestly held.  Ok, no surprises there.

But the point is wholly undermined by the fact that this guy doesn't honestly hold the belief he purports to confess.  So at the end of the day, all he proves is that he is an obnoxious schmuck with too much time on his hands, and that the authorities wisely made the call to allow him to make an ass of himself rather than waste further resources litigating.
I am not sure the Austrian officials had your infallible honesty meter by which to actually measure confessional status.

What this guy did was demonstrate the absurdity of making special objective rules for purely subjective conditions.  That's the kind of obnoxious schmuck we need in society.  The kind of obnoxious schmuck who doesn't see the need for pointing out the absurdities in the law is not the kind of obnoxious schmuck we need in society.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 11:37:51 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 11:10:14 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 10:35:14 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 10:21:12 AM
"cognitive dissonance" is a nifty turn of phrase to be sure, but you keep repeating it in this thread.

It is a good term, well defined and it fits the issue. Look it up.

I am merely saying that constantly repeating the same phrase is not a terribly effective rhetorical device.

It works on people who know what it means.

No, it does not.  It bores the listener after a certain point. 

In a courtroom, I believe a judge would say "I have your point counsel.  Please move on."
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 11:36:54 AM
Generally the most effective means of avoiding cognitive dissonance is to move away from literalism and treat biblical passages which are explicitly literal (noah had sons and built a boat etc) and decide that they are allegorical. So, no, the religious people I meet are not literalist fundamentalists, or at least they refrain from being literalist fundamentalists for the duration of our conversation.

So if we are discussing a spiritual work with spiritual lessons why would there be cognitive dissonance?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2011, 11:32:46 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 14, 2011, 11:32:00 AM
Please don't do that. I'd rather you pray that I get a threesome this weekend.

Done!
hippy god is also a prude (i know, contradictory, but hey he's god, he gets to make up the rules). He shall not be pelased.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 11:43:05 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 11:37:51 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 11:10:14 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 10:35:14 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 10:21:12 AM
"cognitive dissonance" is a nifty turn of phrase to be sure, but you keep repeating it in this thread.

It is a good term, well defined and it fits the issue. Look it up.

I am merely saying that constantly repeating the same phrase is not a terribly effective rhetorical device.

It works on people who know what it means.

No, it does not.  It bores the listener after a certain point. 

In a courtroom, I believe a judge would say "I have your point counsel.  Please move on."

Judges also use sucking machines in the courtroom. I don't think they make a great example to follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 14, 2011, 11:27:59 AM
Church services in a pussy church is boring. Give me that old time gay bashing religion.
You know, they really are.  I remember going to a Christmas Eve service at my parents church a few years back.  God that was terrible, all about environmentalism and anti-Americanism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2011, 11:46:16 AM
Generally the most effective means of avoiding cognitive dissonance is to move away from literalism and treat biblical passages which are explicitly literal (noah had sons and built a boat etc) and decide that they are allegorical. So, no, the religious people I meet are not literalist fundamentalists, or at least they refrain from being literalist fundamentalists for the duration of our conversation.

So if we are discussing a spiritual work with spiritual lessons why would there be cognitive dissonance?

Because there is no evidence that there any such thing as the spiritual and much evidence that the spiritual does not exist.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 11:52:42 AM
Because there is no evidence that there any such thing as the spiritual and much evidence that the spiritual does not exist.

I have thousands of years of human experience and first hand experience on my side.

Besides isn't that sort of like claiming 'love' or 'happiness' doesn't exist?  I mean it is a human experience.  How can you provide evidence a human experience doesn't exist?  I mean it does not in a physical sense.  But who cares?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2011, 11:46:16 AM

But there is plenty of evidence that the spiritual exists.  The Bible and other holy books are evidence.  Millions of people have reported having spiritual experiences.

If you want to say there is no conclusive proof that the spiritual exists I will happily agree with you.  But the faith of billions of people isn't based on nothing.

And how can you have evidence about the absence of something?  As you know it is very difficult to prove a negative.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on July 14, 2011, 11:52:09 AM
You know, they really are.  I remember going to a Christmas Eve service at my parents church a few years back.  God that was terrible, all about environmentalism and anti-Americanism.

Pfft I went to a bunch of fundy services back when I was in social service and fuck they were boring and long and the music was horrible.

And they ranted on about how terrible atheists and Canadians are.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2011, 11:54:42 AM

I have thousands of years of human experience and first hand experience on my side.

Besides isn't that sort of like claiming 'love' or 'happiness' doesn't exist?  I mean it is a human experience.  How can you provide evidence a human experience doesn't exist?  I mean it does not in a physical sense.  But who cares?

It's the not the same. Love and Happiness are emotions which people can have, Spiritness is not an emotion. Furthermore Spirituality presumes Dualism (the assumption that the human is made up of two parts, a body and a soul, suggesting that the soul can survive death). Love and Happiness can be measures using FMRI, Spiritness cannot.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 11:31:32 AM
Never before has anybody actually argued that religious rights are contingent on the followers actually believing the dogma.
The perks that society offers to real religions are rarely offered for cults or individual assholes who are looking to make fools of themselves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

I've been using the word evidence sloppily here. When I use the word evidence I mean proven fact, or in theory of science terms falsifiable facts which cannot be falsified and are consistent will all other unfalsified falsifiable facts.

So anecdotes and documents do not count if their validity can be and has been tested.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 12:01:56 PM
Love and Happiness can be measures using FMRI, Spiritness cannot.

Yeah blatantly false.  Meditation and prayer and so forth do show up on FMRI.