Pastafarian wins right to wear strainer in driving licence photo

Started by Brazen, July 13, 2011, 09:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2011, 12:49:43 PM
Isn't a Yarmulke like a tiny thing on the back on your head?  Isn't that like caring what kind of shoes one is wearing in an ID photo?  I mean you cannot see the Yarmulke right?

As I have said the headgear ban is unnecessary. Which of course is why there are religious exceptions at all.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2011, 12:49:43 PM
Isn't a Yarmulke like a tiny thing on the back on your head?  Isn't that like caring what kind of shoes one is wearing in an ID photo?  I mean you cannot see the Yarmulke right?

yarmulke = only an example. insert any religious gear that might interfere with identifying a person. what if someone used a really small pasta strainer?

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on July 15, 2011, 12:53:55 PM
yarmulke = only an example. insert any religious gear that might interfere with identifying a person. what if someone used a really small pasta strainer?

So you used something that does not cover up the face or can be seen from the front at all as an example of something that might interfere with identifying a person?  If a muslim woman wants to wear a head scarf that cannot be seen in an ID photo then...well how would it be relevent at all?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

i threw in an example of religious apparel allowed in photo ids to get at the general idea. if you cannot understand my point and instead stick to the semantics of attacking the throw-away example, then that is not my fault

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on July 15, 2011, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 15, 2011, 11:39:07 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 15, 2011, 11:18:17 AM
Joan, this is a relevant point in a world where muslims are tying to let women use faceveils on photos. He's not just being a dick.

Are women being allowed to use face veils on photos?  The only case I am aware of in the States denied this.  Perhaps Austria differs.  But if preventing that outcome really was his objective, he actually moved the ball backwards.

This is only one of many instances of religious followers calling for exemptions. A few local examples: calls for segregated public swimming pools, exemption for girls from sport classes, the niqab school issue, refusal to let male doctors see female patients, disruption on factory production due to prayer ...

The thin-skinned schmucks are not the ones pointing out how fucked up it is that you have two different standards depending on whether you still believe in Santa or not. They are the ones asking for them in the first place.

Ok, so you are saying that only one belief system is acceptable in society and anyone who deviates from that one acceptable system of belief should always have to conform to the majority belief system whenever their beliefs conflict with that of the majority even if there could be a reasonable accomodation of those beliefs.  Is that really what you are saying? If not please explain further. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on July 15, 2011, 12:16:36 PM
I'll try to walk you through it.

If you limit your rules to ensuring what's actually important for the photo to serve its purpose as an aid to identification then any religious objection can be met with "sorry take it or leave it, we find it reasonable to demand ID photos on driver's licenses".

Ok, excellent start.  Now draft such a rule.  You said it would be easy.  Go for it.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on July 15, 2011, 01:02:00 PM
i threw in an example of religious apparel allowed in photo ids to get at the general idea. if you cannot understand my point and instead stick to the semantics of attacking the throw-away example, then that is not my fault

I did not understand why you chose that example I was not attacking you for semantics or read your mind as a throw-away example.  This is because a Yarmulke strikes me as an example of something that CAN be worn in a photo ID.  Why would that be a slippery slope?

I also do not recall saying anything was 'your fault' or blamed you for anything.  I just did not understand because of the example you used.  But feel free to take that as an attack.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2011, 01:09:12 PMOk, so you are saying that only one belief system is acceptable in society and anyone who deviates from that one acceptable system of belief should always have to conform to the majority belief system whenever their beliefs conflict with that of the majority even if there could be a reasonable accomodation of those beliefs.  Is that really what you are saying? If not please explain further.

Quote from: crazy canuckThe whole point of the exercise is to mock religion and the manner in which genuine religious belief is accomodated under the law.

:hmm:

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2011, 01:13:54 PMI did not understand why you chose that example I was not attacking you for semantics or read your mind as a throw-away example.  This is because a Yarmulke strikes me as an example of something that CAN be worn in a photo ID.  Why would that be a slippery slope?

I also do not recall saying anything was 'your fault' or blamed you for anything.  I just did not understand because of the example you used.  But feel free to take that as an attack.

ah, but then wouldn't my response- "what if someone used a really small pasta strainer" clarify the confusion? neither the yarmulke or this really small pasta strainer would then obstruct identifying the person in the picture

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2011, 01:10:49 PM

If you limit your rules to ensuring what's actually important for the photo to serve its purpose as an aid to identification then any religious objection can be met with "sorry take it or leave it, we find it reasonable to demand ID photos on driver's licenses".

Ok, excellent start.  Now draft such a rule.  You said it would be easy.  Go for it.

You are not allowed to wear anything during a photo id which in any way obstructs the full view of the face and head.

or

You are not allowed to wear anything on the head during the photo which would make identification more difficult.

if you want something less restrictive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

This is only one of many instances of religious followers calling for exemptions. A few local examples: calls for segregated public swimming pools, exemption for girls from sport classes, the niqab school issue, refusal to let male doctors see female patients, disruption on factory production due to prayer ...

So judgment calls have to made that balance the individual interest in practicing their faith vs. the societal interest at stake.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on July 15, 2011, 01:34:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2011, 01:10:49 PM

You are not allowed to wear anything during a photo id which in any way obstructs the full view of the face and head.

or

You are not allowed to wear anything on the head during the photo which would make identification more difficult.

if you want something less restrictive.

All you have really done there is add subjectivity into an objective test.  You have simply changed the fight from one of accomodation alone to one of accomodation and a fight over whether a particular garment/hat falls within the law.

From a business development point of vew I wish more drafters were like you. Lots of room for litigation with those sorts of legal tests.

crazy canuck

Quote from: LaCroix on July 15, 2011, 01:14:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2011, 01:09:12 PMOk, so you are saying that only one belief system is acceptable in society and anyone who deviates from that one acceptable system of belief should always have to conform to the majority belief system whenever their beliefs conflict with that of the majority even if there could be a reasonable accomodation of those beliefs.  Is that really what you are saying? If not please explain further.

Quote from: crazy canuckThe whole point of the exercise is to mock religion and the manner in which genuine religious belief is accomodated under the law.

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2011, 01:09:12 PM
Ok, so you are saying that only one belief system is acceptable in society and anyone who deviates from that one acceptable system of belief should always have to conform to the majority belief system whenever their beliefs conflict with that of the majority even if there could be a reasonable accomodation of those beliefs.  Is that really what you are saying? If not please explain further.

Lack of a belief is NOT a belief in itself.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 15, 2011, 01:39:04 PM

So judgment calls have to made that balance the individual interest in practicing their faith vs. the societal interest at stake.

Or maybe we could simply be all equal under the law. I have shocking ideas, I know.

LaCroix

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2011, 01:43:54 PM:hmm:

:D

aren't you denying a belief system (stretching this a bit) in this case by attacking this "pastafarian" protest through the argument that accommodations should be made for one group but not another?