Pastafarian wins right to wear strainer in driving licence photo

Started by Brazen, July 13, 2011, 09:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2011, 11:04:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2011, 10:59:34 PM
Now to be fair, atheism does make some people do stupid things.  Like wear a pasta colander on their head for their photo ID. ;)

Morale equivalence BB?

Nobody ever went to war crying "There is no such thing as a Deus to Vult this war!!!" or "There is no Allah to be Ackbar!!!!"
The Soviets?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2011, 11:09:05 PM
For fucks sake just lighten up.  It was a joke.

I'll concede I have a really really short fuse right now in this thread. Sorry.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 11:11:47 PM
Now to be fair, atheism does make some people do stupid things.  Like wear a pasta colander on their head for their photo ID. ;)

Morale equivalence BB?

Nobody ever went to war crying "There is no such thing as a Deus to Vult this war!!!" or "There is no Allah to be Ackbar!!!!"
The Soviets?

The Soviets had a religion, and Lenin was their prophet.

LaCroix

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 11:11:47 PMThe Soviets?

communism spurred them, not atheism. oh, wait, everything and anything is religion  :(

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on July 13, 2011, 10:35:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 10:14:22 PMWhat I am accusing you of is intolerance on the religious issue.  I also believe you delude you self into thinking that Atheists are smarter then their non-Atheist brethren.  I believe this because you said as much.

what are your own thoughts on religion, if i may ask?

generally speaking, when considering the two groups as a whole and not condemning any particular individual, i believe the former would probably qualify as more rational (intelligent?). there are the barristers of the world, but then there are so many more who simply do not -think- about the issue. they believe what they will, and do not critically analyze their own opinions using available resources. both sides do this, of course, but there are far more who are willing to cast aside their religious beliefs for a slice of the truth than the other way 'round. so, i don't think viking deludes himself--unless he believes all atheists are smarter than all religious people, which is ridiculous and something few would actually believe

also, wtf do you mean when you keep saying memes in this thread? could you provide an example of a meme a hypothetical atheist might adopt? groundhogs day, or what?

Catholic.  While I don't agree with all religions, of course, I believe there should be reasonable accommodation for them.  I would say there are many people in the world who are atheists who don't think much about it and don't critically analyze their own opinions.  In some countries atheism is more common then religious belief.  China, Russia, several European countries are examples.  I seriously doubt the people of say Russia are more enlightened or more introspective then the people of the US.  Are Brazilians less enlightened then say the Chinese?  Probably not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Morale equivalence BB?

The Soviets?

They were more likely to use "Za Satlina - Za Rodian!!111oneoneoen"
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 13, 2011, 11:16:40 PM

Morale equivalence BB?

The Soviets?

The Soviets had a religion, and Lenin was their prophet.

Communism is a religion in the same way bald is a hair color.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Morale equivalence BB?

The Soviets?

I think the example of Mexico in the 1930's is probably the best.

Neil

Morale equivalence BB?

Viking doesn't have any sense of humour about his war on religion.  He makes Berkut look like a jokester.  He's not as bad as Martinus, but he just can't leave it alone.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: LaCroix on July 13, 2011, 11:17:09 PM

communism spurred them, not atheism. oh, wait, everything and anything is religion  :(

I would say political idolatry, to the extent taken in Russian communism (Though the North Koreans did it best), or German Nazism...is easily equatable to any religion.

Just another thing that demands worship by the masses.

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 11:17:21 PMCatholic.  While I don't agree with all religions, of course, I believe there should be reasonable accommodation for them.  I would say there are many people in the world who are atheists who don't think much about it and don't critically analyze their own opinions.  In some countries atheism is more common then religious belief.  China, Russia, several European countries are examples.  I seriously doubt the people of say Russia are more enlightened or more introspective then the people of the US.  Are Brazilians less enlightened then say the Chinese?  Probably not.

well, yeah... i don't think anyone in this thread has tried arguing that. but, again, an example of a meme an atheist might believe in?

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 11:18:57 PM

Viking doesn't have any sense of humour about his war on religion.  He makes Berkut look like a jokester.  He's not as bad as Martinus, but he just can't leave it alone.

Viking is smarter then Marty.  Thing is, I actually respect Viking (despite being an Icelander), he has a strong knowledge of science something I'm very, very weak with (my mathematics abilities are abysmal).

Neil

Quote from: LaCroix on July 13, 2011, 11:17:09 PM

And a major component of that was atheism, except during WWII.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 11:21:20 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2011, 11:18:57 PM

Viking is smarter then Marty.  Thing is, I actually respect Viking (despite being an Icelander), he has a strong knowledge of science something I'm very, very weak with (my mathematics abilities are abysmal).
Oh absolutely.  I respect Viking, but I think that his war on religion is over the top.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2011, 11:14:33 PM

I'll concede I have a really really short fuse right now in this thread. Sorry.

:hug:  I appreciate that you can acknowledge that.

Just a friendly suggestion here - feel free to ignore it.

I don't see anyone launching personal attacks on you here.  You may wish to consider 'lightening up' a bit on the topic of religion.  Not that you should change your opinion one iota - but merely give people arguing against you the benefit of the doubt every once in a while.  I've had some really fun religion debates - in particular remember a wine-fuelled debate in Cortina, Italy with Tamas, RH, AnchorClanker and myself.  But personally, debating religion with you is not fun and I've been staying far away from this thread.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.