Storm: Frontline Nation Anyone heard of this?

Started by Razgovory, July 13, 2011, 07:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I saw this game on Steam and was intrigued.  Looked a bit like the old Panzer General franchise, haven't had a chance to read any reviews yet.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/storm-frontline-nation

Anyone been following this?  Know anything about it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

I would recommend it, if the tactical AI wasn't so weak.

You see, the strategic mode is quite nice. The game never pretends to be more than a wargame with a light strategic layer, and that layer is done very well for that purpose. They also have random missions you can pick every once in a while (timeframe is customized at game start) even for the sandbox game, which give a sort of flavour and a hint of a living world. Like, Turkey was pwning Greece when I, as Hungary, got the mission to send a spy unit as a diplomat to mediate between the two countries in Greece.
The strategic AI is adequate.

The tactical mode is also rather nice. Except that the AI is very bad. There are ample ways to use terrain and support between different types of units and such, but apart from perhaps terrain, the AI doesn't give much thought to it.

It would work very well in MP, for what that worth.

derspiess

Never played it but the title sounds like some neonazi movement :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Any chances that some patches might fix some of the problems?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2011, 01:10:57 PM
Any chances that some patches might fix some of the problems?

I don't know. I would think the tac AI won't get significantly better (map terrain, objectives and their status, unit types of the AI and of the enemy, electronic warfare options and points available etc. - nobody every written a really good AI for that level), but some improvements are surely possible and would be welcome.

Now that you mention it, I do recall Steam updating the game with a small patch recently, but I havent tried it since.

Razgovory

I may still get it.  Though I might wait till the price falls a bit cause I'm cheap.

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2011, 04:50:55 PM
I may still get it.  Though I might wait till the price falls a bit cause I'm cheap.

yes, wait