EU calls emergency meeting as debt crisis stalks Italy

Started by jimmy olsen, July 10, 2011, 08:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

How does a debt crisis "stalk" a country anyway?  What a crappy metaphor.  Italy is a big land mass sticking out into the Med.  You don't have to be Orion the Hunter to track it down.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2011, 03:38:59 PM
How does a debt crisis "stalk" a country anyway?  What a crappy metaphor.  Italy is a big land mass sticking out into the Med.  You don't have to be Orion the Hunter to track it down.

It is a big boot, so Mart might stalk it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

With titans like Herman Van Rompuy and his team of EU officials on the case I'm sure that Europe has nothing to fear  :w00t:

Agelastus

Don't forget it's pretending not to be a Mediterranean economy; there's absolutely no similarity between Italy and Portugal/Spain/Greece...no sir, none at all.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2011, 03:41:42 PM

:lmfao: Brilliant!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2011, 08:39:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2011, 03:41:42 PM

:lmfao: Brilliant!

You are a fucking cretin. Perhaps you should respond instead to one of the numerous other posts that call you a total idiot.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on July 11, 2011, 10:44:31 PM
:lol: Martinus calling someone else a cretin.

Cretinism is probably common where Marty comes from.  Not so much in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Habbaku on July 11, 2011, 10:44:31 PM
:lol: Martinus calling someone else a cretin.

It is funny, yes, but in this case it's also accurate.

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2011, 11:06:53 PM
Ah, so Italy going down will take the whole world with it.  Knew we shouldn't have trusted those fucking Dagos with money.  :mad:

I think it was Littlefinger.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on July 12, 2011, 12:13:27 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2011, 11:06:53 PM
Ah, so Italy going down will take the whole world with it.  Knew we shouldn't have trusted those fucking Dagos with money.  :mad:

I think it was Littlefinger.

Is there anything that man can't do?

Quote from: Agelastus on July 11, 2011, 04:26:53 PM

Don't forget it's pretending not to be a Mediterranean economy; there's absolutely no similarity between Italy and Portugal/Spain/Greece...no sir, none at all.

What do you mean? The economies of those four countries aren't exactly the same, even if they have common problems.

Richard Hakluyt

I don't think the Eurozone is going to get anywhere until it is recognised that Germany is, in some ways, the worst offender.

Well, that may be too harsh, substitute "primary cause" for "worst offender"  :P

mongers

Moody's have now reduced Irish debt to junk bond status.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"