News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Podcast Recommendation

Started by mongers, July 09, 2011, 03:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

What podcasts would you recommend to other Languishites, be it a programme of one-off episodes ?

My computer seems do download gigs worth of bbc stuff each month, so I have a hard time keeping up.

I do listen to most 'Americana' editions and thought this one on 'Crime and Punishment' was interesting, it even has a item about bail bondsmen, which CdM might like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zlblc *

* yes I know it's a listen again item, but the podcast feed for it has expired as it's over 3 months old.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Are you looking for purely informative podcasts or also, say, comedy stuff?

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on July 09, 2011, 03:50:46 PM
Are you looking for purely informative podcasts or also, say, comedy stuff?

Not specifically for me; the thread is for recommendation to other Languishites.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Ah ok. Well, if someone is looking for some funny stuff, I'd recommend two comedy podcasts I really enjoy:

BBC 4's "Friday Night Comedy" - being a half hour per week comedy show featuring UK comedians (it alternates between two formats/shows - the "Now Show" and the "News Quiz" - both covering topical, usually political stuff)

"Red Bar Radio" - a "private" comedy show (about 2 hours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday each) hosted by a guy who runs a stand up comedy club in Chicago. The show usually features invited guests and "co-hosts" and consists of these guys just talking funny, unscripted stuff - it is very irreverent and politically incorrect and I would say very Languish-esque.

For more "niche" interests, I would also recommend "The Instance" (a pretty fun podcast for WoW players; about 2 hours each week) and "Feast of Fun" (a gay-themed talk show; about one hour each day except Saturdays and Sundays) - both being "private" podcasts.

sbr

The History of Rome.  He is about 2.5 years and 130 episodes in.  IIRC the last episode I listened to was the death and mess of succession of Constantine.  I didn't know much about Rome before I started listening to this but I have learned a lot from it; I think the presenter is interesting and entertaining enough that even Roman experts would enjoy listening to it.

garbon

I knew Marti would be all over this shit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

(Assume these are podcast, not sure.)

Click and Clack is the best show on NPR.  Two guys from Boston that know everything about every car ever built take calls like "my car smells lke a hospital waiting room, how do I fix it" and crack jokes.

For curiosity value check out a few minutes of the Diane Roem (Rhoem? Reem?) show.  300 year old host asks questions at a word a minute to interesting guests discussing interesting topics.  I get the impression when listening that she hooks herself back up to life support while the guests are talking.

Threviel

Quote from: sbr on July 09, 2011, 04:13:31 PM
The History of Rome.  He is about 2.5 years and 130 episodes in.  IIRC the last episode I listened to was the death and mess of succession of Constantine.  I didn't know much about Rome before I started listening to this but I have learned a lot from it; I think the presenter is interesting and entertaining enough that even Roman experts would enjoy listening to it.

Seconded, the best historical podcast that I've found.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
(Assume these are podcast, not sure.)

Click and Clack is the best show on NPR.  Two guys from Boston that know everything about every car ever built take calls like "my car smells lke a hospital waiting room, how do I fix it" and crack jokes.

For curiosity value check out a few minutes of the Diane Roem (Rhoem? Reem?) show.  300 year old host asks questions at a word a minute to interesting guests discussing interesting topics.  I get the impression when listening that she hooks herself back up to life support while the guests are talking.

NPR? You disappoint me Yi. Very disappointed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 09, 2011, 06:09:27 PM

I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2011, 06:26:26 PM

I won't be able to sleep tonight.

You shouldn't.  You are an awful person.

Razgovory

"In our next half-hour we examine the exciting world of elevator music composers followed by the trials and tribulations of Nepalese worm farmers, but first we go to our phones for the ongoing pledge drive.".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

When I was at the head case doc a long time ago, I was forced to sit through 3 hours of NPR in the waiting room. Fuck NPR and their fans. FUCK THEM ALL TO HELL.

Viking

Quote from: sbr on July 09, 2011, 04:13:31 PM

:wub:

thats my favorite podcast of all.

I'll add

- Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
- Real Time with Bill Maher (for those of us YooRos that don't have HBO)
- Intelligence Squared (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL5WVecNdhk - Stephen Fry on why the Catholic Church is not a force for good)
- Ancient Rome Refocused
- Conversations from the Pale Blue Dot
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 09, 2011, 06:54:02 PM
When I was at the head case doc a long time ago, I was forced to sit through 3 hours of NPR in the waiting room. Fuck NPR and their fans. FUCK THEM ALL TO HELL.
If you don't listen to Car Talk, then fuck YOU to hell.

Actually, on second thought, no need; you are already missing Car Talk - that's is punishment enough.  It's easily the best show on the radio.  And I don't even like cars that much.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!