News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dwarf Fortress

Started by sbr, April 20, 2009, 02:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

I am new around here ( I lurked for about a year and joined around the time of the "upgrade") but don't remember seeing a thread about Dwarf Fortress.  Are there any fans of this game around here?

For the uninformed DF is an incredibly deep and complex city/fortress/civ building game buried under ASCII "graphics" and an excruciatingly bad keyboard-only UI.  :bleeding:

Many people's introduction to Dwarf Fortress revolves around Boatmurdered, a succession game that took place on the Something Awful forums.

If this game had been discussed and dismissed I apologize. :Embarrass:

Crazy_Ivan80

it pops up occassionally. It's been a while since last release though

jimmy olsen

Didn't someone make a mod with tolerable graphics?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Well you don't remember much then. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

The graphics are fine. The UI needs some work though. Optimization is also urgently needed.

Fortunately it's a work in progress.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2009, 05:56:59 AM

That would be good....
Its the UI that does it for me though, renders it utterly unplayable.
██████
██████
██████

fhdz

Quote from: sbr on April 20, 2009, 02:41:42 AM
If this game had been discussed and dismissed I apologize. :Embarrass:

On the contrary, on the old forum there were a handful of rather long threads on Dwarf Fortress.  For a game as complex as it is, it's fairly popular on Languish. :)
and the horse you rode in on

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2009, 11:55:32 AM

That would be good....
True dat yo.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2009, 11:55:32 AM

That would be good....

Here you go
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Object_Tilesets
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

I haven't played in quite a while. I really should go back to my fort, it's got nearly 80 dwarves so it's almost past the siege + economy threshold.

The upcoming update looks like it'll be pretty killer. It doesn't just have changes to the military/squad system (sorely needed!), but many additions to health and healing, the underground, and more. Of course, I may wait a month or two for the more obnoxious/CTD'y bugs to be ironed out.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

fhdz

Thanks to this thread, I've decided to brush up on DF in anticipation of the new update. :)
and the horse you rode in on

Norgy

It's a hilariously frustrating game. It did make even failure fun, though.

lustindarkness

Man, and you guys criticize me all these years for playing nukezone. I may look into it just for the hell of it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DontSayBanana

Roguelikes FTW. Personally, my favorite of them is ZAngbandTK (Angband and ZAngband have the same ASCII "tilesets," so TK just modified it to give it a GUI and a couple of switchable tilesets).
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

I hate it when a Forgotten Beast shows up ten minutes into the game. Bleh. Last time I had a minotaur pop up, but I caught it in a cage trap. I never figured out any cool stuff to do with it besides maybe throw it in some lava. Most of the cool prisoner gigs (target practice, pits) would not work on a minotaur due to the building destroyage I think. Not sure though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers