News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dwarf Fortress

Started by sbr, April 20, 2009, 02:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

With a manager you can set up that each workshop has a single chosen dwarf...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2012, 12:54:30 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 30, 2012, 12:37:50 PM
How the fuckity fuck do I assign a dwarf to do a particular job?

You can only set labor preferences...which if a dwarf has only wood cutting set (for example) then they'll be likely to go chop wood when they have downtime.

Yes. Honestly, run dwarf therapist. It's much easier than using the p-l menu on every dwarf.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 30, 2012, 01:05:09 PM

You can only set labor preferences...which if a dwarf has only wood cutting set (for example) then they'll be likely to go chop wood when they have downtime.

Yes. Honestly, run dwarf therapist. It's much easier than using the p-l menu on every dwarf.

Agreed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 30, 2012, 01:05:09 PM

I never used dwarf therapist until a couple of days ago, it's amazing how much easier things are.

Also I started a new fort because I screwed my army up in the last one.  Things were going good until my 6 dwarf military got shredded by a pack of giant gray langurs.

My militia commander is missing a foot, 2 others are dead and 3 of my 4 war dogs got ripped into pieces.

Darth Wagtaros

I need an anvil. Where do I get an anvil? Mine is gone and I can't start metalsmithing without the anvil.
PDH!

garbon

You can try and request from caravans and/or hope they bring one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Quote05/10/2012 Toady One The items and units fly out of carts now on major collisions. It gives the objects a little lift and spread sometimes to make the happenings more entertaining. Accidental grapeshotting of the dining room should be possible now. The debug tests on massed goblins were fairly devastating and left a large conical skidmark.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: sbr on May 10, 2012, 11:11:40 PM
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Quote05/10/2012 Toady One The items and units fly out of carts now on major collisions. It gives the objects a little lift and spread sometimes to make the happenings more entertaining. Accidental grapeshotting of the dining room should be possible now. The debug tests on massed goblins were fairly devastating and left a large conical skidmark.

Think of the trap potential. Pressure plate in the entrance triggers falling cart that hits an obstacle on the way to the entrance spraying shrapnel down the hallway at incoming baddies. Could work.

sbr

I want to launch magma filled carts at invaders.

sbr

Oooh, new release today. 

QuoteNew stuff

Minecarts can be used to haul things around on carved/constructed tracks/bridges ('h'auling to set up routes)
    Dwarves can be set to guide, push off, or ride carts that are ready to move to the next stop
    Track stops used to slow/stop cart and/or dump the contents on vehicle entry, can be disengaged with lever/plate
    Pressure plates can be triggered by carts
    Rollers can be used to push cart along when powered
    Minecarts limited to one per tile in general, various collisions can occur
    Wheelbarrows can be linked to stockpiles in order to move heavy objects (it'll auto-request one for stone stockpiles)
    Falling objects can collide with critters
    Camera can be attached to unit or item, can be linked to hotkeys from the unit/item screens

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Stockpiles can be linked to workshops, can be set to give to multiple piles, can be set to accept items from links only
    Hauling jobs will often be combined, using one container
    Heavy items harder to haul
    Densities/colors updated, based on Uristocrat's data collection thread
    Can filter creature names in arena
    Mine drop rates tweaked, no longer skill-based
    Puzzleboxes/drum makeable
    Stopped blinking on bridges
    Projectiles using new code (most non-shot/thrown projectiles) can skip/skid on liquid/ground
    All flying units use new minecart parabolic flight paths
    Many projectiles do not resolve in adventure mode before your turn (so you can dodge a flying cart by moving away)
    Can create/assign to squads from v-p
    Squads can be given nicknames from v-p or the military screen
    Fixed broken clay stockpile option

Posted before I really read it so no comment.

garbon

Mine carts seems like nice addition. Wheelbarrow bit sounds annoying - especially for stone.

MadImmortalMan

Brand new LNP.

Lots of nice upgrades by the looks of it.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Toady One
Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Here is the new version we've been working on all year!  The flow of fortress life is quite a bit different now -- specific breaks and parties have been replaced by taverns and performances and needs and inebriation.  You can designate a tavern, temple or library from a meeting area zone, bedroom or dining room using the new Assign Location option.  The location list ('l') will let you know what sort of furniture and items you need, and you can set tavern keepers, scribes and other occupations there as well.  You'll need to set up a drink stockpile and a chest for goblets in taverns for drink service to work properly, but dwarves can still drink without a tavern as before.  You can assign multiple rooms/zones to a single location.  There's a lot more -- see the feature list below.

The bug fix list below is partial.  Large chunks of the game were changed, which has a way of making old bugs go away while bringing in new ones to take their place.  We'll be focusing on bugs old and new in subsequent releases, starting with crashing saves and moving down the list.  The next set of bug-fix releases will be measured on a scale of days and weeks rather than months, as usual.

New stuff
   (*) Ability to designate taverns, temples and libraries in the fortress
   (*) Taverns and libraries also exist in adventure mode and world generation
   (*) Tavern keepers can serve drinks in both modes, goblets can be used by dwarves to drink (in taverns or otherwise)
   (*) Performances include stories, poetry, music and dance (you can view activity descriptions from the unit/job list)
   (*) Art forms are randomly generated for each civilization
   (*) Instruments are now all generated, instruments can be used in both modes
   (*) Most instruments are constructed from multiple pieces using different materials
   (*) Personalities and values lead to needs which can be met by various actions in both modes
   (*) The fort has visitors, residency petitions and eventual citizenship, including non-dwarves
   (*) Tavern visitors include mercenaries, monster slayers, bandits, diplomats and performers
   (*) Can set details for clothing/armor jobs to make them for other races that can equip items
   (*) Monster slayers can petition your fortress to go down and fight monsters once you discover the underground
   (*) Performance troupes are active in world generation and into play, visiting the fort, can be formed in adventure mode
   (*) New knowledge system divided into nine branches (though it has very few practical effects so far)
   (*) Fortress scholars can advance knowledge, form master-apprentice relationships and write down their findings
   (*) Fortress scribes can copy works in your library
   (*) Scholars can visit your fortress libraries, bringing knowledge from around the world
   (*) Devoted historical figures can visit your fortress temples
   (*) Three forms of writing material: papyrus sheets, paper sheets and parchment sheets
   (*) Papyrus sheets are made directly from the plant at the farmer's workshop
   (*) Paper is made from pressed slurries (start at the quern/mill, then go to a screw press)
   (*) Parchment is made from hide and milk of lime at the tanner's (bake quicklime at a kiln, then make milk of lime at an ashery)
   (*) Sheets are used to make quires or with rollers to make scrolls -- these are then used for writing
   (*) Quires can be bound into codices with bindings after they contain writing
   (*) Dwarves read books in the library (they don't need to be scholars)
   (*) Values can be passed in writing (both modes) and through adventure mode arguments (uses some conversation skills)
   (*) Animal people are playable as adventurers, arrive as fort visitors and sometimes live in towns in (playable) populations
   (*) Children play with toys now, and they can also play make believe, in both modes
   (*) Personality can be customized/randomized in adventure mode, appearance can be randomized as well
   (*) Temples can be defiled in both modes, dwarf temples can be assigned to particular gods
   (*) Adventurer can rent rooms in inns
   (*) Adventurers can compose new poems, music and dances
   (*) Adventurers can write material down on empty quires or scrolls
   (*) Alcohol causes inebriation, erratic behavior, unconsciousness, death
   (*) Festivals occur in world generation, though we haven't gotten them out of there yet
   (*) Dwarves will wear trinkets again

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed some army pathing issues
   (*) Goblins have mounts again
   (*) Fixed long-standing flow bug with unit occupancy
   (*) Stopped some issues with brawls escalating to non-lethal

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Looking at reaction screen for redded-out reactions in workshop will indicate missing reagents now
   (*) Fixed inversion problem with half of the child/parent conversation thoughts
   (*) Lots of historical figures that weren't around from the beginning didn't have deities when they were supposed to
   (*) Allowed site finder to look for 1x1 sites
   (*) Human civilizations now have randomized values
   (*) Added ability to set invasion wave cap size

MadImmortalMan