Started by sbr, April 20, 2009, 02:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Damn I wish I knew how to play this game. Weretortoises...sounds fantastic
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

After a couple of innocent-looking waves of immigrants, I started getting the infamous message:

Quote from:  DF Log
Urist McDwarfydwarf has been found dead, completely drained of blood!

Fucking vampires. Usually, I leave them alone. They can pick off the more useless dwarves and I don't mind. I can throw them into combat or whatever, or do the old lock the vamp in a room and make him your bookkeeper trick. But this shit was out of control. In fifteen minutes' time at about 60fps, they found six drained corpses. And not worthless children or strand extractors--my master mason, broker and master gemcutter all fell to the fangs.

Fuck that.

I scoured the fort, dwarf by dwarf, to find which one was the incredibly thirsty vampire. The Dwarf Therapist program helps a lot because vampires don't show up in the list in there. If you look at all the dwarves in the fort and cross check against the list in Therapist, you can find them.

There were five.  :lol:

I had an entire immigrant wave consisting solely of vampires, apparently. So, I drafted them all into their own special military squad and ordered the squad to move into a special hole I had just dug. Then I walled it in and disbanded their squad. Rot in hell bitches.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

MadImmortalMan

One of the vampires was titled "King Consort" when he showed up. Does that mean our kingdom is a vampire puppet? Ummm...will the queen be mad at me for putting him in a stone prison?  :P

MadImmortalMan

Gross.

The Forgotten Beast Sanene Sematotholatho has come! A towering blob composed of vomit. It has a knobbly shell and undulates rhythmically. Beware its deadly spittle!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Fireblade

Fuck this game. You always think your fortress will be full of these:

But instead, you get this:

Habbaku

:huh:  I got plenty of the former in my plays.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

Well this was an interesting evening. I started out with a couple big immigrant waves and got several squads of military put together. I've never resorted to cheap tricks for training the dwarves like danger rooms. But I have had a bunch of ambushes and now collected twenty or so caged goblins of various sorts in my traps. I figured I could lock the cage in a room with my whole army and then release and train that way. Worked all right I guess. But then a vile force of darkness arrived. (That's a huge siege of gobbos, usually riding hideous war beasts of various kinds and led by a monster or epic war goblin leader.)

I actually held my own for a while, with about every trap I had on the whole map triggered and the enemy force down to what seemed like a manageable size. I dropped the drawbridges and let the melee begin. It went well. My dwarves finished off everything except an monster alligator somebody rode in on and a troll who somehow managed to get down a level into my barracks where the levers for the drawbridges are...

War dogs and troopers wore down the alligator until everyone was exhausted and couldn't so much as lift spear or claw to strike. It was epic. Blood and bone fragments covered the battlements knee-deep. That troll wasn't fighting--just camping out near a small storage of beer barrels in the barracks.

Then the dragon appeared.  :lol:

I tried to shut the gates, but the troll in the barracks scared away any dwarves who went to pull the levers, so...

The dragon burned everything. First he hopped the top layer and set fire to all the walls, ammo stocks, war dogs, troops and the alligator with everything nearby dying pretty much right away. It took him several minutes, but he did eventually find his way down into the soft underbelly of the fort and holy crap can those things destroy years worth of dwarven GDP in minutes.

So I check the stats after the dragon rampage. 189 dwarves before the dragon, 5 left alive. Guess which five.

...Yeah the 5 vampires locked in a stone tomb on the other side of the map.

So I just let the game run a while to see what would happen. My force currently consists of several war dogs who got lost somewhere in the fighting but now wander the underground farms, probably poaching the eggs from the turkey nest boxes. There is also an outpost liason from the Mountainhomes searching the empty fort in vain for anyone who will talk to him. The VFoD has gone home too. Probably figured there was nothing good left to plunder. The dragon has been sitting in the crypts with the coffins, I guess just in case anyone tries to bury any of the 185 corpses he made.

I just got a migrant wave of 10 apparently suicidal dwarves. Is this worth even bothering? I'm thinking no, but imagine the awesome wall carvings I'll get if I can manage to live through it.  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

What you need is a hobbit and a guy with a bow.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 14, 2012, 03:28:01 AM
What you need is a hobbit and a guy with a bow.  :P
That's what I was thinking.  Must be a meme.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

I really want to start playing this again and am getting close.  I was reading Toady's dev blog today and found two amazing pieces of news.

Garbagedwarfs:

Quote04/02/2012 Toady One The hauling changes have begun. This afternoon there were dwarves running around with bins, bags and barrels, vacuuming up items. Seeing a single dwarf clean up a seed-ridden dining room as a single job is a beautiful thing.

I have been waiting for this for 5 years now. 

Also not only minecarts, but military minecarts:

Quote04/12/2012 Toady One I set a hauler to ride a minecart to its next stop. That happened to take the dwarf down eight ramps and then up a launch ramp into an open cavern. High up in the cavern there was a wide ledge and on the ledge there was a goblin, chilling out right where I had created it. I activated the dwarf's squad, and he had just enough hang-time at the top of the flight arc to get a punch in. The goblin struck back but the dwarf jumped on to the ledge, where they continued to fight as the cart fell down into the darkness. It'll be interesting to see the new contenders for "worst dodge decision" that come out of this, before I tackle that problem, but overall the item riding system seems to be functioning. As we continue to iron out issues there, it might also let caged creatures interact more with their environment later on.

I had no idea before reading that but I have been waiting 41 years for that I just didn't realize it.