News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dwarf Fortress

Started by sbr, April 20, 2009, 02:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Googling weresheep returns some pretty strange stuff.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

I tried playing this for awhile but couldn't get into it.  There is a huge world in it somewhere, but the learning curve, interface, lack of feedback, and the...unique graphics prevented me from finding it.   

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

I gave this another go last night. It really is amazing how steep the learning curve is - like when you are like ah, I remember how to size a dig site, and also how to set up a pile but that is very different from how you setup a plot - and then also rather different from the ease of setting up a room. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Are there any differences from the free version (other than the tileset)?

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on December 07, 2022, 03:06:44 AMAre there any differences from the free version (other than the tileset)?

Mouse support
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Syt

It also seems to have Workshop support.

Watched a bit of quill18 on this; I think he mentioned that mouse support will come to the free version at some point.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I did see that both on steam and on a kotaku (or was it polygon) article that the long term fans were going wild on this. That if you have enjoyed it in the past, you should basically feel indebted to pay the asking price for the paid version.

Frankly, I don't understand that.

Syt

I mean, I get that if there's folks who got a lot of mileage out of the game and want to give back to the creator - sure. But I'm not sure about the obligation, esp. considering that the free version will continue to exist.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2022, 11:17:48 AMI mean, I get that if there's folks who got a lot of mileage out of the game and want to give back to the creator - sure. But I'm not sure about the obligation, esp. considering that the free version will continue to exist.

And donations to creator have been available for quite some time.

Josquius

Has there ever been any word on how the creators are doing?

Do they earn enough from patron et al to be comfortable and full time on the game?
██████
██████
██████