So I got an Eee Transformer

Started by Slargos, July 07, 2011, 02:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

And I'm already regretting being so careless about the fact that it doesn't have internal 3G.

It is, by far, a superior product to the iPad in every other sense, with the USB port and the memory expansion slot, and the keyboard dock and etc etc etc.

However, I spent 2 hours yesterday attempting to tether it to my computer's ad-hoc network (which turns out androids don't "do") and then another hour pleading with it to accept bluetooth tethering. No luck. Little fucker simply WOULD NOT connect.

Sure, most of the time Wi-Fi will be enough, but not having 3G connectivity absolutely murders a lot of the areas of usage for the thing.

Now I'll have to go buy a phone that is able to act as a router rather than an ad-hoc connection. And I just found a fucking phone that I for once really like.  :mad:

Does anyone have good app suggestions for the android pads? My main use will be watching the odd movie, reading books and running excel spreadsheets. More or less no gaming.

Grey Fox

I don't understand, why isn't WiFi enough?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Slargos

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2011, 05:53:49 AM
I don't understand, why isn't WiFi enough?
i dont have wifi in my car for instance.

Grey Fox

You need to park it in the right places then but I see.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

The wifi chip in my HTC Evo (Supersonic to the rest of the world) does infrastructure mode so it functions as a 'full' wifi router  :showoff:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

Given that you are the resident Android expert, spiessy, what e-reader would you recommend?

derspiess

App-wise, get the Kindle e-reader app.  I still prefer having a separate Kindle device myself, but it's nice being able to access the same library between the app and the device.

As far as other apps go, I would recommend:

*Chrome to Phone (if you use the Chrome browser on your PC)
*Doggcatcher (great podcast app but seems to eat battery life)
*Fring (not sure if it's available where you are but is a great video chat app)
*Latest version of the Google Music app, though I'm not sure if they allow remote music storage in Europe yet
*Pandora
*PdaNet (tether PC to phone via USB)
*SystemPanel (helps monitor & track system performance, memory/CPU performance, etc.)
*Titanium (mainly for backup but has a lot of other nice features, like 'freezing' apps if you want to prevent them from running but don't want to delete them)
*Google Voice
*SetCPU (if your device is rooted-- you can set your device to dynamically underclock when not in use, which saves battery life.  Also allows for overclocking if you install a custom kernel)
*Urbanspoon

I'm not huge into playing games on my phone, but some I play are:
*Plants vs. Zombies
*Angry Birds
*Rommel in Africa
*Conflicts: Operation Barbarossa

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall