Mexican Immigration to the US in Permanent Decline

Started by jimmy olsen, July 06, 2011, 10:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 07, 2011, 01:06:51 AM
Perhaps I'm imagining the figure, but you've certainly made the claim that laborers make peanuts compared with office workers. What I'm driving at is that skilled laborers can make close to six figure salaries here so there's clearly still incentive to immigrate for them.

Now that is much closer to what I wrote.  The problem is that it is relatively easy for an office worker to move overseas, while it is difficult for a Chinese plumber to do so.  Why is he a plumber and not an office worker?  Because he doesn't know English, is a high school dropout, and as a result he doesn't have much cash.  He'll find it very difficult to get an immigration visa, and he'll notice that the cost of living in the west is too much for him. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2011, 01:30:03 AMOdd, all I've been hearing about Mexico lately is how bad its been getting with the tin foil hatters even predicting its collapse.

DHS has cetainly been spending a lot of time on Mexico. :ph34r:

Valmy

Presently Mexico's birthrate is about the same as the US.  It is unlikely they are going to be pouring over the border much longer.

I look forward to American politicians taking full credit for solving the illegal immigration crisis.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2011, 04:41:30 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2011, 01:30:03 AMOdd, all I've been hearing about Mexico lately is how bad its been getting with the tin foil hatters even predicting its collapse.

As they should be.  Mexico should be our #1 national security priority if it is not already.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2011, 07:56:16 AM

As they should be.  Mexico should be our #1 national security priority if it is not already.

Good.  :ph34r:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Does this mean Katmai and Timmeh will head back to Mexico and Puerto Rico respectively?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

They are already suffering from the brain drain. That would just be adding insult to injury.

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on July 07, 2011, 08:35:16 AM
They are already suffering from the brain drain. That would just be adding insult to injury.
What is worse, they are suffering from the drain drain.  That adds injury to insult.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2011, 01:30:03 AM
Odd, all I've been hearing about Mexico lately is how bad its been getting with the tin foil hatters even predicting its collapse.
Paradoxically, Mexico's murder rate has been in sharp decline despite some areas turning into drug lord killing fields.

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2011, 08:47:33 AM
Quote from: Slargos on July 07, 2011, 08:35:16 AM
What is worse, they are suffering from the drain drain.  That adds injury to insult.

You are injuring the insult.  :rolleyes:

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2011, 08:57:57 AM
Odd, all I've been hearing about Mexico lately is how bad its been getting with the tin foil hatters even predicting its collapse.
Paradoxically, Mexico's murder rate has been in sharp decline despite some areas turning into drug lord killing fields.

Perhaps not that paradoxical. The people who are liable to get it first are the ones who are also busy giving it, and once there's fewer people around to do what giving, naturally the rate will drop.

Strix

Of course there is a decline. With all the major crime organizations fighting each other who has time to smuggle people (and is willing to risk their safety for it).
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

KRonn

This is good news for Mexicans. Their economical and educational prospects are getting better, so they and the nation will prosper all the more. That's the bigger issue, that the nation is making some good gains, over and above the immigration issue which the article focuses on also. Seems to be good news for the US too.  if I read the article right, work permits and immigration have been stepped up to help those who want to come here. That helps people immigrating to get jobs, go to school, become entrepreneurs rather than have to settle for the black market type work force.

derspiess

And the ATF is running guns to their drug lords... :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2011, 08:57:57 AM
That doesn't seem possible, well over 30,000 have killed in the last few years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point