And we're back!

Main Menu

Worst book you ever read?

Started by Razgovory, July 06, 2011, 10:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2011, 06:53:33 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2011, 06:44:36 PM
Polyamory?  Weeping gorilla?  An exploration of the fallen nature of man?  I must admit that I am intrigued.
I know I've told this story like 10 times, but this little group got together via a message board similar to Languish (no, I don't know the URL) and either the board was about Ishmael or it was some literary board and the novel constantly came up or some shit.

Anyway, some of the people in the group weren't so batshit, but a faction of it was so cuckoo that they became polyamorous and moved to a hippie commune up in Maine.

Did the book really change their lives or were they crazy before hand?  It sound more like something a crazy person would read rather then a book that makes you do crazy things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy.  Rainbow Six, with eco terrorists wanting to destroy humanity was when he really began to lose it, Teeth of the Tiger, which I bet was ghost written, was beyond shit.
PDH!

katmai

An untitled autobiography of Slargos.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on July 06, 2011, 07:42:25 PM

That has got to be boring. 

"Wednesday, Sold a cabinet"

"Thursday sold three cabinets".

"Friday, sold no cabinets.  Thought I saw Jew.  It was probably his fault".

"Saturday, parents called to tell me they are ashamed of me again, like they do every Saturday".

"Sunday, saw a Muslim.  Might be a Somali.  Hid in the bushes for six hours till he left".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

The bible. Last chapter sucked. Too trippy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2011, 07:50:27 PM
Quote from: katmai on July 06, 2011, 07:42:25 PM

That has got to be boring. 

"Saturday, parents called to tell me they are ashamed of me again, like they do every Saturday".

"Sunday, saw a Muslim.  Might be a Somali.  Hid in the bushes for six hours till he left".
:lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2011, 07:26:01 PM
Did the book really change their lives or were they crazy before hand?  It sound more like something a crazy person would read rather then a book that makes you do crazy things.
I dunno... I didn't know any of them in the Before Ishmael era.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Kleves

That I've finished: Olympos by Dan Simmons.
That I haven't: Vellum by some fag. I read until some character asked another what time it was, and was told "Half-past a freckle." I was like three paragraphs in.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on July 06, 2011, 01:58:03 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on July 06, 2011, 01:46:20 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 06, 2011, 12:19:59 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on July 06, 2011, 11:03:55 AM
Too many to list.

Luckily, when they were not mandatory for school reasons, I simply throw them in a  corner.
Several so-called "masterpieces" I've found unreadable: Crime and Punishment;Ulysses; almost every theatre piece I've read rather than attended to the play; others I don't recall right now.

I'm crawling through War and Peace right now, if the pace doesn't change in the next 20 pages I'm ready to throw away this one too.

L.

Crime and Punishment is my fave book of all time.  :D

War and Peace I read once and liked but will never pick up again.
Yeah that wasn't probably the worst book i've  tried to read, but I simply couldn't force myself to continue after some 200 pages.
Russian authors aren't my cup of tea it seems.

L.

it is wordy but it's quite good actually. Some good battle scenes later on and even Nappy himself has a cameo.

Yeah I've still never finished it, but W&P did contain some good stuff.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2011, 06:56:28 PM
I'm not sure if the dudes fucked each other.  They definitely fucked all the chicks and the chicks did girl-girl action.

Before anyone says "HOTT", I would say that the average weight of one of these hippies (both genders) was 350 lbs.

:(

Quote from: RazThat has got to be boring.

:lol:

Quote from: KlevesThat I haven't: Vellum by some fag. I read until some character asked another what time it was, and was told "Half-past a freckle." I was like three paragraphs in.

Also :lol: 

Quote from: PedritoRussian authors aren't my cup of tea it seems.

One time I read "The Undergound Man."  It is fucking unbearable until about halfway through, when it starts resembling something someone who wasn't Kevin Spacey from Seven might have written.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2011, 08:51:40 PM
Quote from: PedritoRussian authors aren't my cup of tea it seems.

One time I read "The Undergound Man."  It is fucking unbearable until about halfway through, when it starts resembling something someone who wasn't Kevin Spacey from Seven might have written.

Try wading through The Gulag Archipelago.  And I mean wading.  It's that fucking thick, like Stalinist quicksand.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2011, 07:50:33 PM
The bible. Last chapter sucked. Too trippy.

What about Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy? Ugh!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on July 06, 2011, 08:43:21 PM
That I haven't: Vellum by some fag. I read until some character asked another what time it was, and was told "Half-past a freckle." I was like three paragraphs in.

I've heard people use that line IRL.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

HisMajestyBOB

I hated The Scarlet Letter. It's hard to see why it's such a classic when it's a bad book.
I also disliked Oliver Twist because of it's annoying protagonist and other reason long forgotten. I did like Great Expectations, so it's not just me hating Dickens.

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 06, 2011, 07:29:14 PM
Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy.  Rainbow Six, with eco terrorists wanting to destroy humanity was when he really began to lose it, Teeth of the Tiger, which I bet was ghost written, was beyond shit.

I stopped at Bear and the Dragon. I have an autographed copy, and it's in mint condition - only read once!
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help