Tabloid phone hacking scandal involving kidnapped girl roils Britain

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2011, 07:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on July 12, 2011, 08:11:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2011, 06:57:56 PM
Surely you must know that can never be.  In the information age, only those who have planned on a run for office from their youth can make it.  And if you make a mistake once, you're done.  Besides, the truly talented avoid public service like the plague, as dealing with a predatory media isn't worth it.
And what this tells me is how a self trumpeted elite should be harshly brought to heel when it's become so entirely parasitical as to be detrimental to the very survival of the body politic that gave it birth.
The problem is the body politic, not the elite.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2011, 08:12:45 PM

The problem is the body politic, not the elite.

Partly yes, in the sense that the relationship between the elite and the body politic its meant to serve, is a dual way dynamic.  However considering the disproportion between the means available to the elite and those available to the body politic this puts the 'burden of truth' - or the burden of service - so to speak, on the shoulders of the members of the elite.

They have more - therefore they should serve in the measure of their means.

That is why to see one of those, Murdoch in this case, presuming to be above the law, officiously if not officially, is damning evidence of his hubris.  And such hubris should be brought low - regularly.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Murdoch presumes he's above the law?  I haven't seen any indications of that.

So, what mechanism of enforcing that service are you suggesting?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2011, 10:09:45 PM

So, what mechanism of enforcing that service are you suggesting?

I'm partial to gas chambers and ovens personally.  There's something about people squirming and screaming while they suffocate, when yesterday they thought they were on top of the world, that I find immensely satisfying.  The upside is to terrorize those left alive into obedience.  The downside however is this needs to be used sparingly, otherwise it loses its impact over time.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2011, 10:56:29 PM
Apparently senior police officers were hacked in '06 and blackmailed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/12/world/europe/12yard.html?_r=1
Oh dear, it does get better with each revelation.  :lol:

I do enjoy seeing Murdoch thus compromised. He was apparently planning to bid for the largest Polish private information network to be auctioned soon, but hopefully the scandal can keep him occupied elsewhere.

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on July 13, 2011, 06:33:59 AMI'm partial to gas chambers and ovens personally.  There's something about people squirming and screaming while they suffocate, when yesterday they thought they were on top of the world, that I find immensely satisfying.  The upside is to terrorize those left alive into obedience.  The downside however is this needs to be used sparingly, otherwise it loses its impact over time.
Staying classy, I see.

Gups

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2011, 10:56:29 PM
Apparently senior police officers were hacked in '06 and blackmailed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/12/world/europe/12yard.html?_r=1

It doesn't say they were blackmailed. Christ a 10 word summary and you can't even get it right.

Brazen

QuoteEarly day motion 2054

NEWS OF THE WORLD

* Session: 2010-11
    * Date tabled: 11.07.2011
    * Primary sponsor: Mitchell, Austin
    * Sponsors:
          o Clark, Katy
          o McDonnell, John
          o Riordan, Linda
          o Singh, Marsha
          o Williams, Hywel

That this House condemns the sacking of over 200 journalists and staff at the News of the World (NotW); supports the National Union of Journalists in its campaign to help journalists facing compulsory redundancy at the NotW; believes that shutting the NotW is an act of political opportunism by News International (NI); notes that the Chief Executive of NI, Rebekah Brooks, was Editor of theNotW at a time when alleged hacking of mobile telephones was underway; calls for a full public investigation into the apparent systematic abuses at the top of the operation run by both Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson; and welcomes the referral to the Competition Commission of the takeover of BSkyB by News Corporation.

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-11/2054

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

So you mean Politicians aren't happy that people lost their jobs? That's newwwwwwwwwwww!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

I lost my job working for Enron and I wasn't the one selling shares against non-existent products and services.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 13, 2011, 07:32:59 AM
Quote from: Grallon on July 13, 2011, 06:33:59 AMI'm partial to gas chambers and ovens personally.  There's something about people squirming and screaming while they suffocate, when yesterday they thought they were on top of the world, that I find immensely satisfying.  The upside is to terrorize those left alive into obedience.  The downside however is this needs to be used sparingly, otherwise it loses its impact over time.
Staying classy, I see.
That is exactly the sort of thing that you would post.  You do realize that in his head, it's all non-homosexuals who are getting murdered, right?

mongers

Breaking News:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/business-14142307

QuoteNews Corp withdraws bid for BSkyB
13 July 11 14:30

Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation has announced that it is dropping its planned bid to take full ownership of BSkyB.

The announcement came as the House of Commons was preparing to vote for a motion calling on Mr Murdoch to do so.

All three major party leaders had said they supported the motion, which would not be legally binding on News Corp.

The decision follows days of allegations about phone hacking by News Corp subsidiary News International.

"We believed that the proposed acquisition of BSkyB by News Corporation would benefit both companies, but it has become clear that it is too difficult to progress in this climate," said News Corp chairman Chase Carey in a statement.

"News Corporation remains a committed long-term shareholder in BSkyB. We are proud of the success it has achieved and out contribution to it."

The BBC's business editor Robert Peston said: "It's a huge humiliation. This was [News Corp's] biggest investment plan of the moment. It was one of the biggest investments they've ever wanted to make.

"It is an extraordinary reversal of corporate fortune... And questions will now be asked whether this is the full extent of the damage to the empire."

Now that he's down, time to enact one of the great British traditions, give him a good kicking.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Gups

No doubt Ageslatus still thinks this is a storm in a teacup.

Must be a nighmare in that boardroom right now. Qonder what they're going to do. The real problem is that there's no end in sight to this. The police reckon that only a few hundered out of 4,000 or so victims have been contacted. There's probably going to be a number of trials and a number more arrests. There's a judicial inquiry.

And if the rumours that the 9/11 victims were hacked too, there'll be a shitstorm in the States to come.