News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Superhero or supervillain?

Started by Siege, July 04, 2011, 10:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Two questions:
1- If you could have one superpower, what would that be?
2- And would you use your new found superpower for good or evil?

Keep in mind though, that when we are talking of superpowers, anything short of using your powers in completely unselfisheness for the good of mankind, is evil.
If you use your superpower to make money, even though you might not being doing direct damage to other people, places you in the supervillain cathegory because you cannot been brought to justice by regular cops.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

ulmont

Quote from: Siege on July 04, 2011, 10:05:00 PM
Keep in mind though, that when we are talking of superpowers, anything short of using your powers in completely unselfisheness for the good of mankind, is evil.
If you use your superpower to make money, even though you might not being doing direct damage to other people, places you in the supervillain cathegory because you cannot been brought to justice by regular cops.

That looks a bit too narrow.  What if the Flash started his own courier service, for example?  He's making money, but not doing anything illegal...

Siege

Quote from: ulmont on July 04, 2011, 10:10:09 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 04, 2011, 10:05:00 PM

That looks a bit too narrow.  What if the Flash started his own courier service, for example?  He's making money, but not doing anything illegal...

You can't be serious. Do you really think a person with a superpower is going to come out in the open?
Just the fear of goverment experimentation on your ass to replicate the phenomen will keep you in hidding.

Ok, lets say the Flash did start a courrier service. How long until he gets bored and starts to think of other uses for his power?
This is like a college graduate working as a janitor. It ain't gonna end good or/and last long.

garbon

What if your superpower is making money?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: garbon on July 04, 2011, 10:22:02 PM
What if your superpower is making money?

Then the question is what will you do with that money.
Lets say you can turn any metal into gold.
What will you do with that gold?

Razgovory

What if I wanted to be invulnerable to physical harm and then I joined the army and walked ahead of the soldiers and absorbed IEDs?  I'd still get payed right?  Is that good or evil?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2011, 10:43:05 PM
Siege, or sig is hilarious.  :D

I choose sig is hilarious over Seige.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Is "None of the above" not an option?  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 04, 2011, 11:11:17 PM
Is "None of the above" not an option?  :(
With great powers comes great responsibility.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: SiegeYou can't be serious. Do you really think a person with a superpower is going to come out in the open?
Just the fear of goverment experimentation on your ass to replicate the phenomen will keep you in hidding.

That's silly.  Even if we assume the government would be be willing to experiment on someone, the best defense against that sort of thing would be to make your existence public.  I can't think of any public figure beloved by millions who has ever been vivisected.

Anyway, to answer the OP question, do I have to choose just one power?  If so, I cheat, and choose the Power Cosmic.  If that's not acceptable, then mastery of magnetism.  I would be a superhero, in the Miracleman vein.  Which is to say,  I would fuck shit up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2011, 11:24:20 PM
Quote from: SiegeYou can't be serious. Do you really think a person with a superpower is going to come out in the open?

That's silly.  Even if we assume the government would be be willing to experiment on someone, the best defense against that sort of thing would be to make your existence public.  I can't think of any public figure beloved by millions who has ever been vivisected.

Yeah because if there is one thing humanity is known for - it's being very accepting of those who are different.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 04, 2011, 11:44:57 PM

Yeah because if there is one thing humanity is known for - it's being very accepting of those who are different.

Also, if your existence is public, you don't have to worry about keeping to the shadows while you toss an aircraft carrier into the Capitol Building.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 04, 2011, 11:44:57 PM

They may not be accepting, but at least in this country at the current time it's difficult for the government hold you without charges for the purpose of dissecting you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Anyway, I'd probably be some kind of batty joke telling Superhero/villain.  Perhaps looking something like the fellow in my avatar.