News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

The twins have had the last couple of days off due to the cold and shitty roads. Kids have it easy these days. I remember walking to the bus stop in -20 temps when I was a Freshman.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Weather is cold here today, the cold wave that crossed the country hit here. But it was below zero last week during the big snowstorm and part of the weekend so it doesn't seem so bad today, but it isn't as cold as it is/was in the Midwest. Very windy though and that adds to the wind chill.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2014, 10:51:00 AM
No water must sucks.
Actually I still have water in my guest bathroom, which is underground (my house is a walkout ranch) at the level that the pipes come in to the house.  I also have hot water everywhere since the hot water heater is downstairs too in the laundry room, so it's getting water and then heating its pipes throughout the house.  My cold lines leading to the upstairs are what's frozen.  There is very little exposed piping in this house but I am almost positive they are routed through the ceiling of my attached garage, which is unheated--hence the problem.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Seems like a lot of places are closing because of cold.  Not snow/ice, but cold.  First time I can remember that happening.

CNN has been calling this weather "Nor'Easter 2014." It's not a Nor'Easter unless the weather front comes from the north east you nimrods. :frusty:

PDH

Closing for cold?  Wimps.  In Laramie they have the little kids go to school when it is -40.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: PDH on January 07, 2014, 12:29:15 PM
Closing for cold?  Wimps.  In Laramie they have the little kids go to school when it is -40.

Said it before, said it again - Yukon schools never close due to cold.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

It's all about what you are used to.

KRonn

I can see closing schools since being in such below zero temps can cause frostbite in five or ten minutes. Pretty chancy for kids who aren't used to such low temps. But I assume kids in the Yukon, and Alaska also, are accustomed to the cold and have the right clothes for it.

Barrister

Quote from: KRonn on January 07, 2014, 01:25:57 PM
I can see closing schools since being in such below zero temps can cause frostbite in five or ten minutes. Pretty chancy for kids who aren't used to such low temps. But I assume kids in the Yukon, and Alaska also, are accustomed to the cold and have the right clothes for it.

[trolling aside]

Nah, it's a social service measure.  They tell people "look, don't send your kids to school if you think it's too cold for them".  But they want to make sure there is always a place for kids to go during the day as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on January 07, 2014, 11:55:37 AM
Actually I still have water in my guest bathroom, which is underground (my house is a walkout ranch) at the level that the pipes come in to the house.  I also have hot water everywhere since the hot water heater is downstairs too in the laundry room, so it's getting water and then heating its pipes throughout the house.  My cold lines leading to the upstairs are what's frozen.  There is very little exposed piping in this house but I am almost positive they are routed through the ceiling of my attached garage, which is unheated--hence the problem.
About an hour ago most of the ice gave way and I now have cold water upstairs everywhere except at the kitchen sink.  As far as I can tell no pipes are leaking (yet), as when all the faucets are closed I don't hear any running water where the line from the main comes into the house.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2014, 12:30:22 PM
Quote from: PDH on January 07, 2014, 12:29:15 PM

Said it before, said it again - Yukon schools never close due to cold.

Can you even close igloos? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

I'm officially over winter.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Scottsdale sounds more and more gooder.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2014, 08:47:33 PM
I just got done yelling at my parents for buying a shore house in New Jersey instead of Boca Raton. :cool:

btw their pipes in Pennsylvania are frozen too.

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2014, 08:47:33 PM

Scottsdale smells like old people.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM