News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

The old homelands report the usual: toppled trees, some minor power outages, damaged roofs and windows, rail connections cancelled because of trees on wires/tracks, ferry services cancelled, some major bridges closed. Two people died in Schleswig-Holstein - one crushed by a tree, another by a tumbling wall. And a guy got blown off a roof in my former hometown.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

One of my apple trees blew over in the wind and rain storm we had last night. :(

Fortunately I have the day off, so I just got done re-staking it, adding another stake, trimming back the crown (since I was gonna do that this winter anyway) to reduce its weight and increase air flow, and mounding it up more with fresh topsoil.

It's annoying that this damn apple tree won't stay firmly rooted, though.  It's  3 years old and almost 10 feet tall now.  I planted a magnolia at the same time that's solidly rooted, and I planted a peach less than a month ago that had no problem whatsoever in last night's storm.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Doesn't this belong in your Farmer Cal thread?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on November 01, 2013, 09:32:25 AM
One of my apple trees blew over in the wind and rain storm we had last night. :(

Fortunately I have the day off, so I just got done re-staking it, adding another stake, trimming back the crown (since I was gonna do that this winter anyway) to reduce its weight and increase air flow, and mounding it up more with fresh topsoil.

It's annoying that this damn apple tree won't stay firmly rooted, though.  It's  3 years old and almost 10 feet tall now.  I planted a magnolia at the same time that's solidly rooted, and I planted a peach less than a month ago that had no problem whatsoever in last night's storm.

Huh. You mock me for losing power for 2 hours. KARMA BITCH.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on November 01, 2013, 09:34:11 AM
Doesn't this belong in your Farmer Cal thread?
It seemed to be more about weather than my farming prowess. :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2013, 09:37:46 AM
Huh. You mock me for losing power for 2 hours. KARMA BITCH.
Touche. :blush:

lustindarkness

last night we had rain and some wind, but not bad, I did not even lose any Halloween decorations. The HD channels did flicker/freeze a couple of times while I watched The Lost Boys. :)

Real nice today.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on November 01, 2013, 09:45:48 AM

Fruit tree woes = Farmer Cal
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on November 01, 2013, 10:19:17 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 01, 2013, 09:45:48 AM

Fruit tree woes = Farmer Cal

MAH FRUIT TREE

Well, someone had to say it
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Our sunny weather is about to come to an end.  Storm clouds are incoming. 

Ed Anger

Yuk. Winter weather advisory. I blame Meri.

katmai

Yeah we had out first snow of fall this weekend, almost matched the record for latest snowfall (this thur the 14th would have tied it)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

We are expecting one whole inch. The local news is spazzing out however. IS THERE ENOUGH SALT?

Caliga

There's snow on the ground out there.  This is ridiculously early for us for first snowfall.  KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

CountDeMoney

Snow flurries are abound.  Boy, glad I'm not employed so I don't have to drive in this stuff.