News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2012, 07:32:00 PM
While I was on my way back from Florida there was a massive hailstorm here.  It came through around 8 pm and when we got home at 5:30 AM there were still some hailstones laying about, some of which were golfball-sized. :huh:

Roof looks ok but the storm must have come in sideways against the north side of the house, since all my screen windows on that side got their asses kicked and will need to be replaced (giant holes in all of them).  Also, my newly-planted trees got seriously damaged. :(  The magnolia lost some branches and nearly all of its leaves were seriously damaged.  Not sure if it'll survive.
So it turned out that my roof did get serious damage after all, and we had it replaced this week... totally paid for by my insurance. :cool:  They also are replacing the blown out screens and fixing some of the siding that was damaged, which I didn't notice at the time I made the above post.

Yesterday I came home and caught the Mexicans climbing all over my roof drinking from the hose and running a microwave and a radio from my external outlets.  Nobody said you could run up my water and electricity bills SLAVES. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 22, 2012, 07:01:16 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2012, 07:32:00 PM
While I was on my way back from Florida there was a massive hailstorm here.  It came through around 8 pm and when we got home at 5:30 AM there were still some hailstones laying about, some of which were golfball-sized. :huh:

Roof looks ok but the storm must have come in sideways against the north side of the house, since all my screen windows on that side got their asses kicked and will need to be replaced (giant holes in all of them).  Also, my newly-planted trees got seriously damaged. :(  The magnolia lost some branches and nearly all of its leaves were seriously damaged.  Not sure if it'll survive.
So it turned out that my roof did get serious damage after all, and we had it replaced this week... totally paid for by my insurance. :cool:  They also are replacing the blown out screens and fixing some of the siding that was damaged, which I didn't notice at the time I made the above post.

Yesterday I came home and caught the Mexicans climbing all over my roof drinking from the hose and running a microwave and a radio from my external outlets.  Nobody said you could run up my water and electricity bills SLAVES. :mad:

They are children, aren't they?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on August 22, 2012, 07:01:16 AM

I hope you told them that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Yep.  They smiled and nodded and said "No comprendes señor." :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

You know it's going to be a shitty day in your a/c-less apartment when the temperature at 8am is already 25°C/77°F. Forecast for today: 36°C/97°F. Whole week has been in the 30s/90s. One more day tomorrow, then the heat is supposed to break.

Though the forecast has already moved from low 20s/70s next week to high 20s/80s next week. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Coolin off, it seems like.  Low-mid 90s during the day, then low 70s at night now.  Early season football weather, bitches. 

Razgovory

Goddamn it.  Huge rainstorms come over the house last night.  Didn't rain at all, but it get as humid as fuck.

CNN had a story about the poor bastards who are farming in the area.  http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/24/us/drought-missouri-dairy-farmers/index.html?hpt=us_c2  I really feel sorry for them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

RAIN!  We got some storms from Irene and since then we've had some other scattered storms.  It's raining right now.  Yard is greening up.  In August it looked like a desert.  I've mowed the yard only once this year.  Looks like I'll get a chance to do so again.  Too late to save crops, and we are probably still have rain deficit of like a foot, but at least we got something.  I don't even like rain that well, but there is something wrong three months of bone dry weather.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on September 05, 2012, 08:23:30 AM
RAIN!  We got some storms from Irene and since then we've had some other scattered storms.  It's raining right now.  Yard is greening up.  In August it looked like a desert.  I've mowed the yard only once this year.  Looks like I'll get a chance to do so again.  Too late to save crops, and we are probably still have rain deficit of like a foot, but at least we got something.  I don't even like rain that well, but there is something wrong three months of bone dry weather.

Yeah, we had that for late winter/early spring and it felt very wrong.

Luckily we've since had the 2nd wettest late spring/summer since records began.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

RAIN!  We got some storms from Irene and since then we've had some other scattered storms.

The only thing we've gotten from Irene has been that god-awful bubble of fucking tropical humidity.  I swear I'm looking for toucans and sandinistas and shit to pop up outside.

Christ, I can't wait for October.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2012, 12:03:33 PM
RAIN!  We got some storms from Irene and since then we've had some other scattered storms.

The only thing we've gotten from Irene has been that god-awful bubble of fucking tropical humidity.  I swear I'm looking for toucans and sandinistas and shit to pop up outside.

I took the afternoon off yesterday to buy a new lawnmower & cut my grass.   The new mower is awesome-- barely requires any effort to push.  But by the time I was done I wanted to fucking die.  Forgot what 90 degree heat + 80% humidity was like.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2012, 12:03:33 PM

I think Raz means Isaac. And I'll take the the humidity over the scorching dry heat we had. At least now it's not sunny all the fucking time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on September 05, 2012, 12:44:38 PM
And I'll take the the humidity over the scorching dry heat we had. At least now it's not sunny all the fucking time.

I dunno, man...I've been in Phoenix in 100 weather, and while hot is hot, I'd still take 100 in Phoenix than 85 degrees and 85% humidity in Baltimore any day.  At least in Phoenix, shade actually works.

Ed Anger

This humidity shit better calm down soon. I'm wanting to go to football games and this shit ain't cool in a stadium.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

High humidity and high temperatures are fairly normal here.  Another reason not to go outside.