Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on July 12, 2011, 12:22:59 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 11, 2011, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on July 11, 2011, 07:39:37 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 11, 2011, 10:12:16 AM
Quote from: Brazen on July 11, 2011, 09:57:32 AM
It's the same old shit as every year. A few hot days in spring, a summer that changes rapidly between warm and wet, then a late summer heatwave in September.

OMG WTF global warming etc. etc.

Aren't you confusing weather with climate ?  :hmm:

Besides which country were you in this spring ? Because we've had an extraordinarily warm and dry spring, not just a "few hot days"

I must confess that I hadn't noticed it being either particularly warmer than the average or dryer than the average where I live in the middle of the country getting the dregs of the weatherfronts that have already hit everyone else.

I'll also note that I don't recall many/any news stories about hosepipe bans this year; just a few mutterings that farmers may have to stop watering crops. Am I missing something due to the alleged excess heat making me sleepy or something?

We'll something is affecting you're reasoning.  :P

We were talking about the spring, you know the season before the one we're in now; no idea if June/July have been warmer or cooler than average so far. 

Anecdotally I'd say its been pretty dry in central southern England, the river outside my front door doesn't seem to be flowing, looks more more like a pond.  <_<

:contract:

And surprise, surprise, I was talking about Spring as well - 'cause that's when they first start talking about hosepipe bans being "almost certain" even if they don't impose them until full summer. Spring's when they can tell how well replenished the water table has been by Autumn/Winter.

You said:

Am I missing something due to the alleged excess heat making me sleepy or something?

Isn't that in the present tense ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2011, 12:25:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2011, 10:27:02 AM
I was looking into homes in Plano, but Texas and its water situation makes me think twice about moving down there.

So glad the word is getting out.  The water situation is getting more and more critical and people just keep on moving here.

I doubt the word is out. I'm aware of such things as it pertains to work. Sort of.

Plus you couldn't really tell a few weeks ago. Nice lawns in Plano.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I don't really get the appeal of arid climates where you can be both hot and cold in the same 24 hour period.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 12, 2011, 03:26:49 PM
I don't really get the appeal of arid climates where you can be both hot and cold in the same 24 hour period.  :hmm:

I love arid climates for the change if nothing else.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 12, 2011, 03:26:49 PM

You dislike the mullet of climates? :wacko:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 12, 2011, 03:36:17 PM
I love arid climates for the change if nothing else.

So why do you live in the Pacific Northwest?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: mongers on July 12, 2011, 02:38:40 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on July 12, 2011, 12:22:59 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 11, 2011, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on July 11, 2011, 07:39:37 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 11, 2011, 10:12:16 AM
Quote from: Brazen on July 11, 2011, 09:57:32 AM
It's the same old shit as every year. A few hot days in spring, a summer that changes rapidly between warm and wet, then a late summer heatwave in September.

OMG WTF global warming etc. etc.

Aren't you confusing weather with climate ?  :hmm:

Besides which country were you in this spring ? Because we've had an extraordinarily warm and dry spring, not just a "few hot days"

I must confess that I hadn't noticed it being either particularly warmer than the average or dryer than the average where I live in the middle of the country getting the dregs of the weatherfronts that have already hit everyone else.

I'll also note that I don't recall many/any news stories about hosepipe bans this year; just a few mutterings that farmers may have to stop watering crops. Am I missing something due to the alleged excess heat making me sleepy or something?

We'll something is affecting you're reasoning.  :P

We were talking about the spring, you know the season before the one we're in now; no idea if June/July have been warmer or cooler than average so far. 

Anecdotally I'd say its been pretty dry in central southern England, the river outside my front door doesn't seem to be flowing, looks more more like a pond.  <_<

And surprise, surprise, I was talking about Spring as well - 'cause that's when they first start talking about hosepipe bans being "almost certain" even if they don't impose them until full summer. Spring's when they can tell how well replenished the water table has been by Autumn/Winter.

You said:

Am I missing something due to the alleged excess heat making me sleepy or something?

Isn't that in the present tense ?

Well, that could be...

(1) Poor use of tenses; two in one sentence.
(2) An error.
(3) I've been hibernating since Spring.

Take your pick...given how I've felt the last two months, I'm taking (3) as my choice... :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

In the last three days we've had 117.5mm of rain. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2011, 11:12:40 PM

Bah, I've seen seven inches in one night.  Fucking chaos.  One car get stuck in rising waters, A fire truck come to save it and another idiot crashes into the fire truck pushing it into the water.  Luckily nobody was killed.  This was back in 93.  I remember watching houses torn from their foundations and washed down river.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Crazy fucking weatehr this morning.

Woken up at around 5:45am.  The sky outside was bright, bright orange.  Weird as fuck looking.  Within about 10 minutes we had a full blown thunderstorm, which ended within abut 15 minutes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2011, 11:12:40 PM

In the last year we have had .00001mm of rain <_<
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 18, 2011, 09:04:55 AM
Crazy fucking weatehr this morning.

Woken up at around 5:45am.  The sky outside was bright, bright orange.  Weird as fuck looking.  Within about 10 minutes we had a full blown thunderstorm, which ended within abut 15 minutes.

Yeah. Summer. You'll get use to it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

What is this word summer?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

KRonn

So far seems pretty normal Summer here in eastern Massachusetts. A few hot/humid days, among most others warm and low humidity, nice. But we're due for the heat wave that's been hitting the Mid West.