News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

There's a killer thaw in Stockholm right now, like some twisted Morse episode.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

We were supposed to get some icy rain/snow Wednesday night into Thursday, but only got light to moderate rain. Probably in northern New England they got some snow or sleet. So far for the next week or so here no snow in sight, just cooler weather over the weekend. I think now we'll get away with very little snow this winter.

derspiess

Our February warm monsoon ("Fool's Spring") has ended, replaced with freezing temperatures.  And thus begins our "Second Winter".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

I'm always wary of February as that seems to be the month we get a lot of snow. Especially after the winter of 2014-2015 where we had little snow through most of January, then the Polar Vortex hit us hard for over a month. We got over nine feet of snow and frigid temps from late January to early March.

HVC

another storm coming. we've been asked to work from home
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on February 12, 2019, 09:27:30 AM

We would be so lucky. We'll get ~30cm over night, schools will probably still be opened. I'll be stuck in traffic for 4 hours.  :mad:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 12, 2019, 09:41:45 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 12, 2019, 09:27:30 AM

We would be so lucky. We'll get ~30cm over night, schools will probably still be opened. I'll be stuck in traffic for 4 hours.  :mad:

I was surprised schools closed for this, as we are only expecting 25cm of snow - turns out it is more because the storm here will have both high winds and freezing rain possible, leading to bad visibility on roads and dangerous conditions.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Yeah the snow isn't the issue. It's the 70km winds. Environment Canada is telling people to stay home.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

It will not stop raining.  Ohio River is getting high.  Thankfully we live on a hill.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on February 12, 2019, 01:25:14 PM
It will not stop raining.  Ohio River is getting high.  Thankfully we live on a hill.
Yep.  The river is now busting its banks down here.  Little temporary lakes dot the landscape everywhere too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

It's been -20c or colder for about two weeks now, with no end in sight.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

After a weirdly cold fall January resembled a normal Texas summer: warm days followed by cold ones. So last week it was about 70F/21C during the afternoon but then come Friday it suddenly dropped to about 32F/0C for several days, including covering my roof with sleet. My son had baseball tryouts on Saturday and we were standing around for hours in the cold. The boys of winter. I guess I know what opening day at the Colorado Rockies games is like.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2019, 03:27:49 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2019, 03:20:16 PM
Spring is here.  :bowler:

:wacko:

Well the dafs are now out.  :bowler:

Could be worse I could have started painting the garden furniture at the weekend, like I did last February, hours before the 'beast from the east' arrived.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"