And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2019, 01:49:39 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 30, 2019, 01:41:00 PM
Barrister, you must get this brutal cold a lot in winter, or perhaps a bit north of where you are. What precautions do people have to take? Such as with their cars, battery, oil, etc. Engine/oil warmers and other stuff. Things break in such cold weather.

Well for starters all vehicles sold here have block heaters.  You plug them in and it keeps your engine block warm enough so the oil doesn't solidify.  Some people just keep their vehicles running (though not at all recommended due to obvious vehicle theft concerns).  Big 18 wheel tractor trailers you'll often see running 24/7, since starting a big diesel once the engine gets cold is apparently quite difficult.  If I can't plug in my vehicle in extreme cold I'll run out and start it every few hours.

You don't see it as much now, but people used to put cardboard in front of the engine radiator, to prevent the engine from being overly cooled with rushing cold air towards it.

Right, engine block heaters. I also remember seeing people putting cardboard in front of radiators in winter.

Grey Fox

Keep your gas tank filled up, use cold weather oil. Don't clean anything that's outside.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

The last storm we had it snowed then rained, and everything froze up. Took a while to get into my car, get the doors open. It was tough going, but still the temps weren't anything like what they're getting in the Mid West.

Malthus

Gah. With wind chill, near -35 C.

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=9d8b8108449b9fc4&hl=en&gl=CA&source=wweather

QuoteA prolonged period of very cold wind chills continues.

Bitterly cold arctic air combined with strong westerly winds have resulted in wind chill values near minus 35 tonight.

The cold air will remain in place Thursday. Conditions should improve Friday as milder air moves into the region.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

took me two hours to get home yesterday. that was like two days after the storm. Damn you ttc!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Coldest night of the year so far here at 51N .... -2.9C.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on January 31, 2019, 09:41:42 AM
took me two hours to get home yesterday. that was like two days after the storm. Damn you ttc!
Cold enough for you?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on January 31, 2019, 10:52:03 AM
Quote from: HVC on January 31, 2019, 09:41:42 AM
Cold enough for you?  :D

i'm normally ok with the cold, even this cold, but it took 30 minutes to get from one side eglinton and kennedy to the other side of eglington and kenedy. across the god damn street to get into the subway station lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

KRonn

Today we're getting some of the Polar Vortex affect. It was single digits or below over night, and has been in the teens and windy all day. But probably just for a day, maybe two and still not nearly as bad as the worst in the Mid West.

Caliga

It's warming back up here, but yesterday driving home my car's engine temp was actually dropping as the car was running. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

It's above freezing today in Edmonton. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Admiral Yi

16F feels positively tropical after the last few weeks.

mongers

Decided to have a 'snow day' here today, first ever I think. 

Didn't do much work, but completed a fair few chores and ended up doing a lot of walking in the snow to complete some of them.  :bowler:

mongers

Well the snow didn't last long, now 10C+ this afternoon.  :cool: