News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I'm not being a good tourist. I've not yet planned out what I'm going to do with my day tomorrow. Spent too much time worrying about client meeting which was very relaxed and chill. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 25, 2016, 08:14:11 AM
I'm not being a good tourist. I've not yet planned out what I'm going to do with my day tomorrow. Spent too much time worrying about client meeting which was very relaxed and chill. -_-

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to hang out in the red light district, take a walk to Reeperbahn and adjoining alleys. Some nice bars there. At least there were 15 years ago.  :blush: But I understand it's become a lot mofr family friendly.

Nearby, the Hamburger Dom (a fairground) is currently on, with rides and greasy food: http://www.hamburg.de/dom/2611800/aktuelles-hamburger-dom/

I can't think of a must see museum in Hamburg. :hmm:

If you're an early bird you can go to the 7am fish market: http://www.hamburg.de/fischmarkt/

A common recommendation is to take a boat tour of the harbor. It's not too expensive and it takes you through the more scenic aspects of the port. Try to catch a tour during low tide, because otherwise the boat might not be able to go through the narrow canals between the old brick store houses.

While in the harbor you can visit the world's largest model train diorama: http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Zanza probably has more up to date recommendations - it's been over 10 years since I've been there. There's probably a Christmas market.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 25, 2016, 08:07:59 AM
As one would expect, Hamburg is quite chilly at this time of year. Also quite misty/foggy. Makes London look currently balmy and sunny in comparison. :D

Wall to wall sunshine in England today, a somewhat unusual day.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2016, 08:29:51 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 25, 2016, 08:14:11 AM

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to hang out in the red light district, take a walk to Reeperbahn and adjoining alleys. Some nice bars there. At least there were 15 years ago.  :blush: But I understand it's become a lot mofr family friendly.

Nearby, the Hamburger Dom (a fairground) is currently on, with rides and greasy food: http://www.hamburg.de/dom/2611800/aktuelles-hamburger-dom/

I can't think of a must see museum in Hamburg. :hmm:

If you're an early bird you can go to the 7am fish market: http://www.hamburg.de/fischmarkt/

A common recommendation is to take a boat tour of the harbor. It's not too expensive and it takes you through the more scenic aspects of the port. Try to catch a tour during low tide, because otherwise the boat might not be able to go through the narrow canals between the old brick store houses.

While in the harbor you can visit the world's largest model train diorama: http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Zanza probably has more up to date recommendations - it's been over 10 years since I've been there. There's probably a Christmas market.

Hey, thanks for those items. My colleague is taking me for drinks on the Reeperbahn this evening. :cool:

I spent a bit of the afternoon shopping and picked up a hat and a pullover that I should have brought with me. At least now I'll be toasty instead of cold. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I want spring to return.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

It's so bone-dry in parts of the upper South that wildfires are burning out of control now.  Hundreds of 'em going in upstate Kentucky and Tennessee.  Right now Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge up in the Smokies are in the process of burning down. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on November 29, 2016, 10:01:19 AM
It's so bone-dry in parts of the upper South that wildfires are burning out of control now.  Hundreds of 'em going in upstate Kentucky and Tennessee.  Right now Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge up in the Smokies are in the process of burning down. :(

Damn.  :(

We've been pretty dry over the last two or three years, this Autumn the usual warm, wet South-Westerlies have been a rarity, just a handful of days, so the meadows hereabouts don't look so healthy.

River is real low, so any rain is just local run-off and the levels drop back within a couple days, rather than stay up all Winter long.
It's been so low that recently a pair of swans decided to build a big nest on exposed gravel beds in the main channel, never seen that before. Currently I'd guess the flow rate is an eight to a tenth of what it should be, for this sort river to be healthy and functioning.

Caliga

The creek behind my house was totally dry until yesterday, when we had torrential rains for much of the day.  Didn't have time to check it this morning to see how it was doing.  That creek is fed by a nearby spring so you know the situation has gotten bad when it dries up.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on November 29, 2016, 10:27:11 AM
The creek behind my house was totally dry until yesterday, when we had torrential rains for much of the day.  Didn't have time to check it this morning to see how it was doing.  That creek is fed by a nearby spring so you know the situation has gotten bad when it dries up.

There's a lot of 'bournes' like that around these parts, though the actual river I live on drains much of central southern England's chalklands so should never run dry, but it's been quite a sorry state recently.

KRonn

Raining here today and the next couple of days, some of it should be heavy rain. It's been abnormally dry here so rain is good!

Admiral Yi

First snowfall of the year just started.

katmai

Hitting a high of -1f/-18c here tomorrow after an abnormally warm winter so far.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on December 04, 2016, 04:52:26 AM
Hitting a high of -1f/-18c here tomorrow after an abnormally warm winter so far.

I know we only just recently got some decent snow (abnormal), but I didn't think the temps were all that unusual so far.

katmai

The mid 30's for most of Nov was about 8-10 degrees warmer than avg. not to mention our third year of low snowfall.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son