News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

After prolonged heatwave, Austria has been receiving huge amounts of rain these past two days. It's bad mostly in the countryside, but even in Vienna the Wienfluss has risen "a bit".

Normally:

Currently:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Lower Austria has been declared a disaster area. Even in Vienna (though on the far outskirts) some houses needed to be evacuated. Some subway tracks are closed for now (the ones near Wienfluss and Donaukanal).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

On weather, we just had the worst summer I can remember in years that then immediately shifted into autumn.

Got a little bit of sun and warmth again now but been dreadful :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

You can gladly have our 52 or 53 days of over 30° and 60 or so nights over 20° :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

There's power outages in some parts of Vienna. A fireman has died. A few villages are being evacuated. Several roads and highways are closed off (including the Westautobahn and parts of the Südautobahn, main arteries into/out of Vienna); railroad has suspended service in affected areas. Parts of Austria have seen four times as much rain in two days as they would normally get in all of September.

Helicopter rescue following an accident.

Subway station Schottenring. Water is normally a couple meters lower than that:

Keep in mind that Danube, Donaukanal and Wienfluss in the past decades were engineered to handle flooding events. But this is a bit more than usual.

Oh, and will likely continue to rain like this till tomorrow and possibly Tuesday.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 15, 2024, 06:03:17 AMOn weather, we just had the worst summer I can remember in years that then immediately shifted into autumn.

Got a little bit of sun and warmth again now but been dreadful :(

The whole of next week is predicted to be warm weather in the 70s.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2024, 06:49:48 AMThe whole of next week is predicted to be warm weather in the 70s.
:o

God willing it holds. Need an Indian summer.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Seems Czechs, Poles and Romanians are hit harder than Austria. :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cdrjjl3mmy8t
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

How much mm of rain so far, Syt?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

About 150-300 mm in some areas. Probably going to be another 150 mm by end of tomorrow in some areas. Which doesn't sound much, but it all adds up. Overall it's a flooding which occurs roughly every 30 years, though for Vienna the experts say it's a "once every 100+ years" event. Mind you, Vienna is not as badly affected as many towns and communities (biggest irritation is that most of the subways are down, and houses on the outskirts are underwater).

Overall, some areas see less rain, but with the precipitation continuing till maybe Tuesday, and the ground unable to absorb more water, it might get worse before it gets better.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Wow.

150 liters per m² is alot. Good luck to you all.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Thanks. Night was relatively quiet, with some receding floods, but more rain today. From tomorrow onwards we will be back to 20+° and sunshine, though.  :wacko:

Some graphs showing cubic meters of water per second at some points in rivers in last days. (Rivers are shown in brackets)

No estimates on financial damages, but it's likely to be in the billions, including people unable to get to work today.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould