News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on December 23, 2022, 07:11:20 AMYou guys really need to switch to civilised ways of measuring temperature.

:D

1 celcius.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

The wind chill in the DC area is dropping below zero, which I can't remember happening here before, at least since I've lived here. I'm tempted to step outside just briefly to see just how cold that feels.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

The water heater on the north side of my house froze again. No running water in my bathroom again. -10C in central Texas this morning.

Fortunately the only similarity to Feb 2021 so far. Power is on and no ice besides the ice caused by the morons who didn't turn their sprinkler system off.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Rain followed by sleet followed by sudden drop in temperatures, followed by ice, followed by blizzard.

To think I used to live in the Mediterranean as a boy.

Merry fucking Christmas.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

It's almost positive temperature here.  -1 F.  Very windy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2022, 06:24:36 PMLooks like we have a death storm coming in. :(

I drove through that! :w00t:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on December 23, 2022, 11:38:28 AMRain followed by sleet followed by sudden drop in temperatures, followed by ice, followed by blizzard.

To think I used to live in the Mediterranean as a boy.

Merry fucking Christmas.

:cry:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

...it didn't get above 60f/15.5c here today.  That is suffering.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

It's 9F here now.  WTF, I had no idea it could get that cold.  I had to fill up my car, since I was outside of New Jersey, and after a minute of holding the gun in my hand I couldn't feel it anymore.

Admiral Yi

Dude at the supermercado told me it's supposed to get up to the 50s this weekend.  :w00t:  :worthy:

God what a shitty December it's been.

DGuller

I came across a sad story of a young woman who was stuck in a car in Buffalo during the blizzard, and eventually died from carbon monoxide poisoning.  This made me think:  what do you do in such a situation, and how easy is it to figure it out on the spot?

Do you keep the car off when you're sleeping, so that snow can't pile up into your tail pipe while you're unable to address the issue?  That may keep you from CO poisoning, but can't you freeze to death this way, and how much sleep are you going to get anyway while freezing your nuts off?  Also, what exactly counts as clearing the exhaust from snow?  I imagine it's more involved that just clearing your exhaust pipe, you have to make sure that the exhaust is not just going into a confined area within the mound of snow you're stuck in.  If it's 5 feet of snow kind of a blizzard, then is it even possible to move that much snow by hand to clear enough of the area around the tail pipe? 

Also, apart from CO poisoning, is there a plain vanilla suffocation risk?  If the snow completely covers your car, including the top, can enough air get in to allow you to keep breathing?  I hope I'll never be in that situation, but if I am, it would really suck to have to figure such stuff out from first principles.

PDH

If I were you, and you find yourself stuck in a snowstorm...start right off by killing and eating everyone else in the car.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 29, 2022, 12:22:17 AMI came across a sad story of a young woman who was stuck in a car in Buffalo during the blizzard, and eventually died from carbon monoxide poisoning.  This made me think:  what do you do in such a situation, and how easy is it to figure it out on the spot?

I think you crack the window once in a while.

Not that easy to figure out on the spot.

Legbiter

Coldest December here in Iceland since the 1951 record by a smidge. Average temperatures here in Reykjavík have been around -13° Celsius. :uffda:  :Canuck:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.