News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Got down to 4F last night.  13F feels so nice in comparison.  With all the news alerts about massive snow storms I guess I should be thankful for no precip so far.

viper37

Apparently, North Earstern US is going to feel what -40 is really like as -40F is the same -40C and that's what they'll get over the next few days, just in time for the Christmas spirit to really settle in. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Looks like we have a death storm coming in. :(

Valmy

Yeah time for the incredibly rare December freeze in Texas. Please don't fail us grid.

No snow either so not a white Christmas, just a very cold one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2022, 06:24:36 PMLooks like we have a death storm coming in. :(

What you call a "death storm", we call "Tuesday".

-35c this morning.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yeah well Tuesday for Texas could be anywhere from -10c to 30c. Sometimes on the same Tuesday.

Shroedinger's winter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2022, 12:44:31 PMYeah well Tuesday for Texas could be anywhere from -10c to 30c. Sometimes on the same Tuesday.

Shroedinger's winter.

I do hope you guys don't get a repeat of last year. :hug:

Valmy

I know. I spent the last year or so writing and reviewing new rules for extreme weather and coordinating with generators to get those standards implemented. But did they? Well I guess we will find out  :ph34r:

Valmy

The dryness at least ensures the wind turbines will be fine.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2022, 02:03:14 PMThe dryness at least ensures the wind turbines will be fine.

Hopefully everything will hold, but Alberta's power grid has been issuing warnings and threatening rolling blackouts the last two days or so.  The extreme cold, plus some generating difficulties, plus no wind is all hurting.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9364926/cold-weather-grid-alert-alberta/

PDH

This time of year is better for the California grid - in Southern Cal they turn down the A/C to reasonable levels starting in December.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

-12F.  Thank Hod no wind.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Plus 4... but it's raining and will turn to frozen rain later today when temperatures go down to minus 9C
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

You guys really need to switch to civilised ways of measuring temperature.