News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on December 12, 2022, 06:04:17 AMHeavy rain I am more sympathetic to, where we live the roads can get properly flooded, I once almost stalled in the middle of a small pool formed under  railroad bridge because I felt I just had to risk driving through it.

Of course, a place where that isn't infrequent, should maybe Yale some steps to mitigate it...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2022, 06:27:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 12, 2022, 06:04:17 AMHeavy rain I am more sympathetic to, where we live the roads can get properly flooded, I once almost stalled in the middle of a small pool formed under  railroad bridge because I felt I just had to risk driving through it.

Of course, a place where that isn't infrequent, should maybe Yale some steps to mitigate it...

OK Stanford.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on December 12, 2022, 06:33:22 AM

OK Stanford.

:lol:

1 step forward and 2 steps back with my education.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

:lol: I feel that with snow and hot summers. They're not guaranteed but they happen reasonably regularly so there should be some degree of preparation.

Speaking to a colleague and her son's school bus has been cancelled all week (no matter what happens to the weather).

Although partly with the hot summers and the really heavy rain/flooding there's clearly a climate change impact when villages with buildings hundreds of years old that haven't been flooded before suddenly multiple times since 2000 etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

QuoteSpeaking to a colleague and her son's school bus has been cancelled all week (no matter what happens to the weather).

:lol:

Sheilbh

Weather combining with the British instinct to do as little work as possible :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Just outside where I used to live in London:

Here, two buses become stuck in snow on Muswell Hill in north London

Country has ground to a halt.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Just how bad are UK drivers in snow?

Video evidence half way down page:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63950210

Grey Fox

Near 0 snow basically becomes grease when mixed with dirt and ICE emissions. There is not much one can do other than manage the slide and that takes experience.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Woke up this morning to a temperature of -33c/-27f

Brr.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2022, 11:27:58 AMWoke up this morning to a temperature of -33c/-27f

Brr.

You were THAT drunk at the end of year lawyery bash in the swanky uptown hotel, that you wandered into their walk-in freezer and fell asleep?

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2022, 05:13:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2022, 11:27:58 AMWoke up this morning to a temperature of -33c/-27f

Brr.

You were THAT drunk at the end of year lawyery bash in the swanky uptown hotel, that you wandered into their walk-in freezer and fell asleep?

Mongers, you fall asleep in sub -30c temperatures, you don't wake up again.

And I'm a public servant - our "end of year lawyery bash" was a potluck held in the office.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Brr.

I don't miss these kinds of temps at all.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Brr.

I'm driving to that for the weekend, kind of. Heading to Minneapolis to see the girl. Temps at home are supposed to be 10 degrees warmer than there. It's supposed to be -6°f at home.  😞

Not quite Edmonton temps but definitely not balmy California temperatures either. BUT THERE WILL BE SNOW!!  :yeah:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

To each their own. I'm currently looking forward to what is predicted to now be 80 on Christmas day. :cool: