News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Seems to me hanging would be a more authentic Texan style execution.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 28, 2017, 11:37:36 AM
Seems to me hanging would be a more authentic Texan style execution.

Too much wind damage.  No trees left. 
Can't use the pickup to drag anybody, gotta wait for the water level to drop.

The Brain

You hang out, not people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Situation sounds dire  :(

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey/flooded-houston-braces-more-rain-rescues-continue-n796476

Quote...

The Army Corps of Engineers announced early Monday that it had begun releasing water from both major Houston-area dams — something that has never been done before. That decision came after levels in the Barker and Addicks reservoirs "increased dramatically," by more than 6 inches per hour. Earlier Sunday, officials had said they didn't plan to open the Barker dam until 11 a.m. Wednesday.

While opening the two reservoirs will increase water levels and enhance flooding for those along Houston's Buffalo Bayou watershed, it's a better alternative than allowing the water to spill over and around the reservoirs into additional neighborhoods, Mayor Sylvester Turner told reporters Monday.

He added that the water would continue to be released gradually through noon — the equivalent of 8,000 cubic feet per second — and that the Army Corps is monitoring in real time how much water levels are rising.

As much as 40 inches of rain had fallen on areas near Houston, the country's fourth-largest city, in 24 hours as of Sunday night, the NWS said. And 15 to 25 more inches of rain could fall on a swath of the upper Texas coast to Lafayette, Louisiana, by Friday.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the wettest tropical storm in U.S. history, Hurricane Hiki, yielded more than 52 inches of rain on Hawaii in 1950.

Rivers, meanwhile, are expected to crest later this week, exacerbating the dire situation.

"Results could be devastating if any of these rains fall where catastrophic flooding has already occurred," the National Weather Service warned.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

QuoteAnd lo, the Lord did say unto them, "Do not pave everything in sight, lest the floods wash you away," yet the peoples resisted and blasphemed and refused to think upon basic urban planning, and were smote.

mongers

So lazy urban planning has contributed towards turning the 4th biggest US city into a giant paddling pool?  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Well, that's not good
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/902199139173142528

QuoteLatest high-res NAM (12Z) model shows 12-20" for the Houston area, but 10-15" for New Orleans. That's really frightening w/ inop pump system

Before Harvey, city of New Orleans said a forecast of ~12" in 24hrs might require evacuating the city. That forecast is arguably here, now.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on August 28, 2017, 08:37:32 PM
So lazy urban planning has contributed towards turning the 4th biggest US city into a giant paddling pool?  <_<

At least it's mostly above sea level, unlike New Orleans.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Why do you think that?

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Houston famously doesn't do urban planning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Addicks about to top out any minute

1 Karma Chameleon point