Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 08, 2014, 02:43:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2014, 02:19:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 08, 2014, 01:16:48 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 07, 2014, 08:33:34 PM
I'm officially over winter.

There is really only one way to avoid it entirely and remain in Canada....

Yes, but committing suicide is a rather drastic response.  ;)

Agreed.  Now that Pearson Airport is non operational it seems that it you only way out.

:lol:

Too true.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Is Toronto still crippled by the weather? :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on January 08, 2014, 03:17:02 PM
Is Toronto still crippled by the weather? :huh:

What happened was this: a snowfall, a thaw that melted it into goo, and then a hard freeze - down to -25 C - that froze that goo hard as iron, all in a matter of a few hours.

Apparently, the airport equipment could not handle the icing up. Really, they should be better prepared, but even here this weather combo is pretty unusual.

Certainly the sidewalks were like skating rinks, as at -25 salt doesn't work very well, and few had sand. Trying to chip the ice away by hand = mostly hopeless.   

This was on top of the big ice storm last month that really buggered things up, smashing trees all over and bringing down power lines all over the city.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

HVC

:D

CC, British Colombia a is nice (visited a long time ago) but I'm aiming for Australia. Then I can bitch about the heat :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

So any flooding Cal?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on January 08, 2014, 09:40:22 PM
So any flooding Cal?
Nope. :cool:  Everything thawed and no sign of any leakage.  Cal = lucky.

katmai

Nice, yeah i think i'm running 50% success rate of no pipes bursting from frozen pipes (like 4 times in last 12 years i've been here :P )

PDH

Luckily the pipes in my place are buried coming in and well insulated inside - never had a problem even in -40 weather.  Of course the water main out under the street 40 feet away has burst a couple of times in the last decade, but that is small potatoes compared to my stuff.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

This old house has no foundation so pipes are in attic, on the plus side I won't ever not know if the pipes burst :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 08, 2014, 05:50:39 PM

:D

CC, British Colombia a is nice (visited a long time ago) but I'm aiming for Australia. Then I can bitch about the heat :lol:

As much as I enjoyed my trip there, I wouldnt want to live there.  Those folks are going to run out of water sooner than LA.  And the extreme weather events are getting worse.

Brazen

The top two inches of snow under the Polar Vortex are caused entirely by North Americans throwing cups of boiling water in the air.

Admiral Yi

Liep

Eew, we're actually getting wintery weather next week.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

We're having unseasonably warm, crazy even, weather. Right now (8 am) it's +8c, though that's decreasing to +4c later, together with high winds.

Anyways, apparently the high winds mean our LRT isn't working. WTF?

So I've been stuck on an overcrowded bus for the last half hour not going anywhere. This is terrible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.