News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2012, 06:49:35 PM
What does it feel like to get clonked with hail?  Like getting pegged with a rock?

Cold rocks.  Until it gets to a certain size, I guess, where you don't really feel it when it crushes your skull.

Caliga

Roof is fine. :showoff:

I've never gotten hit by hail that I can recall.  I've driven through it (as recently as this morning on my way into work :bleeding: ) but never actually been impacted by myself.  I guess I could ask my friend Kevin, but might wait a little bit to pose the question to him. :hmm:

Also, another neat thing with tornadic fronts: usually it's pretty warm as they approach, and it always gets progressively warmer till they impact and then the temperature drops rapidly.  Before this one hit, it was actually hot outside, and I've also experienced that in late January once when we got hit by one.  I was lucky (or foolish?) enough to be outside when this one hit and you can really feel the temperature drop... there's also always this very low rumble that's just barely perceptible, almost like a distant train or something.  I always wonder if that's just approaching thunder or some sound that tornadoes make that can travel long distances or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Also, even though this hail was very large--biggest I've ever personally seen--it all melted within like a minute of falling.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Caliga on March 02, 2012, 06:53:06 PM
I've never gotten hit by hail that I can recall.

It sucks. 

CountDeMoney

Caliga

I left work early today... one, because Princesca was bugging me to come home and move the dog's crate away from a window, and two, because I didn't want to possibly drive thru another, worse, hailstorm. :yes:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2012, 07:06:09 PM
Sucks even worse for your car.

Back a few years ago, my Rodeo got pelted by some...eh...marble-ish or so sized hail.  It must've been coming down at a nice angle though, because those little overlapping hail dents were only on one side (plus the roof and hood).   Kinda weird.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2012, 07:06:09 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 02, 2012, 06:55:10 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 02, 2012, 06:53:06 PM
I've never gotten hit by hail that I can recall.

It sucks.

Sucks even worse for your car.

Yeah, I remember after a hail storm it looked like someone took a hammer to our car.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Hell, they can fuck up the roof of your house.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Damn, continental weather sucks.   :(

Today Blighty was attacked by slight fog.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on March 02, 2012, 08:10:31 PM
Never a dull moment though!  :cool:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 02, 2012, 08:10:31 PM

My grandparents had their porch wrecked by a hurricane several years ago.

Tornado in Marietta right now. :o
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

This is the Henryville tornado, taken the friend I mentioned who lives there.  Came within about 50 yards of his house.

Caliga

Some of the hail that pelted the fuck out of him:

Martinus

In Poland, it has been sunny today and no snow/freezing weather for over 2 weeks now. Yay, springtime for Poland.