Main Menu

the Pope tweets via an iPad

Started by Caliga, June 29, 2011, 07:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

The Catholic Church has officially jumped the shark. :rolleyes:

QuoteHoly 140 characters! Pope tweets for Jesus
By Cathy Lynn Grossman, USA TODAY

With a tap on a tablet, Pope Benedict XVI has fired off a tweet to the world, launching the communications-challenged Vatican into yet another new media realm. It's already on Facebook and YouTube.

According to the Associated Press, it read: "Dear Friends, I just launched News.va Praised be our Lord Jesus Christ! With my prayers and blessings, Benedictus XVI"

For the gadget-worshipers among us, the Vatican confirms that was an iPad on the table.

For the those who have been waiting impatiently for Rome to get it's message act together, the announcement of the new portal intended to be an easy, up-to-date aggregate site for Vatican information, was a hopeful sign.

Earlier this year, the Vatican had a blogger summit that encouraged the Catholic voices to help spread it's message. Whispers in the Loggia Rocco Palmo tweeted #vbm11 that officials say

We want to hear what people think -- on their blogs." Ergo, friends, have at it.

The initiative is non-too-soon if you go by critics such as National Catholic Reporter columnist John Allen who called Vatican communications a "train wreck."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

I think the problem of Vatican communications is less the media they use, but rather the content.

Martinus

Shouldnt iTunes be blocking pedo apps?

Grey Fox

Sure when the Pope does it, it's jumping the sharks but when a Reverend does it, it's okay?

:rolleyes:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 29, 2011, 08:19:33 AM
Sure when the Pope does it, it's jumping the sharks but when a Reverend does it, it's okay?
:huh: What Reverend?

The Brain

Cal posts stuff from USA Today and the Vatican is the one jumping the shark?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2011, 08:47:28 AM

I don't know. I'm sure somewhere outthere there's a tele-evangelist using twitter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 29, 2011, 08:53:45 AM

I don't know. I'm sure somewhere outthere there's a tele-evangelist using twitter.

You need a diversion.

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on June 29, 2011, 08:48:42 AM
Why can't we both jump the shark? :)

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2011, 09:00:29 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 29, 2011, 08:48:42 AM
Why can't we both jump the shark? :)

Sure, just seems like a waste.

Razgovory

Yi
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

The Ultimate in 'Timmay Taint'.  :P

Marti will be selling all of his shinywhite to BB.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Solmyr

How is this jumping the shark? I'm sure St. Paul would have tweeted his letter to the Romans if they had the technology then.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on June 29, 2011, 09:40:18 AM
How is this jumping the shark? I'm sure St. Paul would have tweeted his letter to the Romans if they had the technology then.

I would have liked to see the Romans get away with crucifying Jesus after he broke 100,000 followers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

stjohn: @saintpete writing #revelations. prepare to be awed.