Main Menu

We've always been at war with Eurasia

Started by Slargos, June 28, 2011, 03:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2011, 04:00:57 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2011, 03:59:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2011, 03:57:10 PM
What would be a penalty faced by an ethnic Swede? Would he face a higher penalty or about the same for the same crime? If it is the latter, I cannot see how having this guy serve the time AND then be deported on top of that be just.  :huh:
i think deportation of crimnals (obviously not citizens) is very just. you're not in a country by right, but be that's countries pleasure. you show that you can't be a good potential citizen (rapists rarely are), then countries should have the right and duty to kick your ass out.

I disagree. If you are in a country legally, then I don't agree that you should be treated as a second class person.
You're not treated as a second class citizen. You had your day in court. There are requirements to enter a country on a visa. Rapists would not pass mustard. Why should they be allowed to stay after the fact if they wouldn't have been allowed in under the same circumstances?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

The problem with Swedes is that they are insane. Their "middle ground" is almost always taking two idiotic, opposite extremes and hoping they'd even out. :P

Josquius

Its a sticky situation. It would be very dickish and a major disregard for human rights to deport someone who has such a valid reason to be a refguee. But then he is a crook, not exactly the nicest guy himself, not the sort you really want hanging around the country...but legally once you've done the time for a crime you're then innocent.
The government is stuck really, no easy way out of it.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2011, 04:03:19 PM
Its a sticky situation. It would be very dickish and a major disregard for human rights to deport someone who has such a valid reason to be a refguee. He is a criminal, not exactly the nicest guy himself, not the sort you really want hanging around the country...but legally once you've done the time for a crime you're then innocent.

Indeed.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2011, 04:00:57 PMI disagree. If you are in a country legally, then I don't agree that you should be treated as a second class person.
Non-citizens are de factor second class persons in all countries of the world though. They may not vote, they can often not work for the government or even work at all, can have their legal residency revoked in certain conditions etc. Do you disagree with the notion of distinct citizen rights in addition to human rights that are applicable for all humans?

HVC

but legally once you've done the time for a crime you're then innocent.
Uhm, no.

Even if he was right that he'd get screwed in his home country. That's not swedens problem. he broke a swedish law and since he's not a citizen there shoudl be the option to kick him out. if he doesn't want to go home see if anotehr nation will take him. Of course i don't mean all crimes. i'm not for deporting jay walkers, but some crimes should come with that outcome. you have proven you would not be a good citizen and thus shouldn't have the luxury of staying.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Slargos

Its a sticky situation. It would be very dickish and a major disregard for human rights to deport someone who has such a valid reason to be a refguee. He is a criminal, not exactly the nicest guy himself, not the sort you really want hanging around the country...but legally once you've done the time for a crime you're then innocent.

:lol:

Hah. No.

Legally speaking, there's no issue with deporting him. It's already been determined that he doesn't face an imminent threat of torture should he be deported and the crime he's committed is well within the range where deportation becomes a possibility.

The only reason he's still here is that the usual suspects (Amnesty, a couple of crazy politicians and a gaggle of journalists) created their typical circus.

Maximus

Its a sticky situation. It would be very dickish and a major disregard for human rights to deport someone who has such a valid reason to be a refguee.
WTF no it wouldn't.
Quote from: Tyr
But then he is a crook, not exactly the nicest guy himself, not the sort you really want hanging around the country...but legally once you've done the time for a crime you're then innocent.
What a bizarre outlook.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on June 28, 2011, 04:06:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2011, 04:00:57 PMI disagree. If you are in a country legally, then I don't agree that you should be treated as a second class person.
Non-citizens are de factor second class persons in all countries of the world though. They may not vote, they can often not work for the government or even work at all, can have their legal residency revoked in certain conditions etc. Do you disagree with the notion of distinct citizen rights in addition to human rights that are applicable for all humans?

Yes, but the rights not to be deported to a country where you face inhuman treatment (i.e. refugee rights) are human rights, not citizen rights. I don't see why they should be conditional upon you not committing a crime (any more than a right not to be tortured is, for example).

HVC

or as a comprimise i' say it's ok if a criminal doesn't want to go back that he gets to stay in jail :D

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2011, 04:06:47 PM
but legally once you've done the time for a crime you're then innocent.
Uhm, no.

Even if he was right that he'd get screwed in his home country. That's not swedens problem. he broke a swedish law and since he's not a citizen there shoudl be the option to kick him out. if he doesn't want to go home see if anotehr nation will take him. Of course i don't mean all crimes. i'm not for deporting jay walkers, but some crimes should come with that outcome. you have proven you would not be a good citizen and thus shouldn't have the luxury of staying.

Clearly the Swedish justice system has not seen his crime serious enough, if he only got 3 years in prison.

Btw, noone has answered my original question - would an ethnic Swede get a greater penalty for the same crime?

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2011, 04:10:54 PM
or as a comprimise i' say it's ok if a criminal doesn't want to go back that he gets to stay in jail :D

Wasn't that what happened? I thought he served his time.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2011, 04:11:01 PM
Btw, noone has answered my original question - would an ethnic Swede get a greater penalty for the same crime?

What do you mean?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: Martinus on June 28, 2011, 04:11:44 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2011, 04:10:54 PM

Wasn't that what happened? I thought he served his time.
No, i mean you stay in jail. After three* years you get to decide stay in jail, or go back to your home nation.

*which still throws me. But slarg hate the darkies so maybe this was a date rape (still bad) and not a "savage" rape