News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

7 biggest dick moves in the history of gaming

Started by Slargos, June 27, 2011, 05:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2011, 11:53:26 PMThe fact that he was giving out loans with interest and repayment plans probably made a lot of gullible people feel safe.

People are retarded with their isk (and in general) in EVE.  Jita local is constantly spammed with "Send me isk and I'll send you double back!!1!  I promise!!1"  type shit, along with the standard "Sell something for 100,000,000 instead of 100,000" trick, among other things.  If that stuff didn't work, they would have stopped by now, I would think.  The EVE Bank thing was just a bigger, more slick version of the former.  "Invest your isk in us, we'll pay out interest."  Let it run for a while, pull in as many retards as you can, then shut it down and buy a Fuck You dread or ten.  Nice.  Only thing I have to complain about is I didn't think of it first. 

Most I've been involved in, aside from the occasional small time scam, was a "hostile takeover" of a small industrial corp.  A few of us joined this corp, took all the shares, voted one of our guys in as CEO in the middle of the night so he could remove roles from all the sleeping directors (and give them to us heh), then stole and blew up everything we could ("Hey you mining?  We've got a mining op going, join our fleet!" *warps everyone to zero, vaporizes "friendly" ship*) before kicking everyone else out.  I just checked:  He's still the CEO.  :lol:

Edit:  Interestingly, there used to be way to use the in game contract system for loans, but....uh....you had to give isk for collateral, so it was only good for ships and stuff.

Monoriu

Before UO was launched, people formed many different guilds in anticipation.  One that caught my attention was a "Bank of Britannia".  My first reaction was that it was really cool, because I genuinely wanted to run a bank.  But I also realized that there were too many problems.  Someone has to hold the treasury and there is just no way to prevent that person or persons from running away or simply quitting the game...I talked with the founders on how to solve these, but all I got was "things will work out".  So I quickly quit. 

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on June 30, 2011, 01:54:44 AM
Before UO was launched, people formed many different guilds in anticipation.  One that caught my attention was a "Bank of Britannia".  My first reaction was that it was really cool, because I genuinely wanted to run a bank.  But I also realized that there were too many problems.  Someone has to hold the treasury and there is just no way to prevent that person or persons from running away or simply quitting the game...I talked with the founders on how to solve these, but all I got was "things will work out".  So I quickly quit. 

A real world contract?
██████
██████
██████

JonasSalk

I miss the ultimate freedom of UO. You could be a murderer, a thief, a mage, a shopkeeper, build your own castles, etc.
Yuman

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: JonasSalk on July 11, 2011, 11:37:45 AM
I miss the ultimate freedom of UO. You could be a murderer, a thief, a mage, a shopkeeper, build your own castles, etc.
http://inporylem.com/ :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

JonasSalk

Yeah, I played on a few large free servers for a while after the real game. The last time I did that was about three years ago with some RL friends. We had a lot of fun and there were about 400 people on the server, which was nice, since you had people who had real personalities (such as a totally awesome dickbag Robin Hood-type mage PVPer who would fuck with people all the time.)  One time my friends and I were able to sneak into somebody's house and rob him blind. He got so pissed he started posting about us on the server's forums complaining, blah blah blah. It was epic.
Yuman

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2011, 11:53:26 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 27, 2011, 06:24:30 PM

The EVE Bank thing was pretty amazing though.  I can't believe there were so many people who were willing to just give their money away because he started a corp and called it a bank.  Then again, people still get nailed by recruitment scams, despite the "Joining Goonwaffe" page specifically saying that if you're paying isk to join, you're getting scammed.  In large red letters.
The fact that he was giving out loans with interest and repayment plans probably made a lot of gullible people feel safe.

I still don't fully understand how he wasn't sued.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: JonasSalk on July 11, 2011, 11:37:45 AM

I ran a pretty profitable shop before I quit.

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on July 13, 2011, 10:42:34 PM
Does the game even have a court system (and if it does, isn't it clogged up with tens of thousands of cases of piracy and murder)?

Plus, the guy can escape jurisdiction just by cancelling his account.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on July 22, 2011, 05:19:14 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 13, 2011, 10:42:34 PM
Does the game even have a court system (and if it does, isn't it clogged up with tens of thousands of cases of piracy and murder)?

Plus, the guy can escape jurisdiction just by cancelling his account.

Ha ha.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

What the internet needs is a service where you can hire large men to beat the shit out of other users.  In the real world, if you are an asshole, people will respond to you negatively.  They may shun you, or call the police, or simply kick your face in.  Sadly, these options really exist in cyberspace.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 26, 2011, 06:47:10 AM
What the internet needs is a service where you can hire large men to beat the shit out of other users.  In the real world, if you are an asshole, people will respond to you negatively.  They may shun you, or call the police, or simply kick your face in.  Sadly, these options really exist in cyberspace.

You can shoot up a camp full of kids if people are mean to you in the internet. :contract:

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 06:54:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 26, 2011, 06:47:10 AM

You can shoot up a camp full of kids if people are mean to you in the internet. :contract:

See, I don't hate Muslims.  So shooting kids is really more your kind of thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017