News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

7 biggest dick moves in the history of gaming

Started by Slargos, June 27, 2011, 05:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Viking

And here I thought this was a Languish EU3 MP thread.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

Bah, All the non-eve related could have been bested by other Eve events.

Funny List tho, I didn't remember the WoW plague & didn't know that Garriot was killed in Ultima.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

:hmm:

I thought the Blood Plague thing in WoW was more of a genuine glitch where if you were infected, but survived the battle and hearthed back before it wore off, it infected everyone (PC and NPC both) around you.  I was infected with it back then and I don't remember hearing people were doing it to grief others on the server.

Also, another sort-of related note: When that kid Ezra Chatterton who played WoW died of cancer, someone made an announcement on the WoW forums to that effect and people flooded it with comments like "LOL JUST ASK FOR A REZ N00B". :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

The UO one was the one I enjoyed the most.  The EVE bank scam was probably the biggest dick move, though, since the guy just did it to be a dick.  It would have been more impressive if he had been scamming people smarter than your average EVE player, though.

The second life dick move doesn't sound very dickish or very funny, but maybe it is dickish and funny in context.  I don't get Second Life at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

I'm pretty sure Karttoon did more damage to Goonfleet when he got trolled out (complete with wall of text goodbyes, etc) than #7, which was a long time ago.  Dude took or insurancefrauded several hundred billion isk worth of stuff (there was a pile of dead dreads on an undock) after messing up and at least partially causing the loss of all the sov in Delve/Period Basis/That other one next to Delve.  Then he went and got banned and can't use any of it.  Dumbass.

I also wonder exactly how much, isk wise, was lost when Haargoth did his smash and grab, then shut BoB down.  The guy stole an entire cap fleet from BNC, and what he did resulted in the destruction of like 500 POS.

The EVE Bank thing was pretty amazing though.  I can't believe there were so many people who were willing to just give their money away because he started a corp and called it a bank.  Then again, people still get nailed by recruitment scams, despite the "Joining Goonwaffe" page specifically saying that if you're paying isk to join, you're getting scammed.  In large red letters.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on June 27, 2011, 06:23:15 PM
The second life dick move doesn't sound very dickish or very funny, but maybe it is dickish and funny in context.  I don't get Second Life at all.

I don't either. I don't get how people make money. Why would you want to pay for anything in Second Life?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on June 27, 2011, 06:12:39 PM
:hmm:

I thought the Blood Plague thing in WoW was more of a genuine glitch where if you were infected, but survived the battle and hearthed back before it wore off, it infected everyone (PC and NPC both) around you.  I was infected with it back then and I don't remember hearing people were doing it to grief others on the server.

Also, another sort-of related note: When that kid Ezra Chatterton who played WoW died of cancer, someone made an announcement on the WoW forums to that effect and people flooded it with comments like "LOL JUST ASK FOR A REZ N00B". :rolleyes:

I laughed.  Am I a monster?  If so, how did I become this way? :weep:

QuoteProving that the only reason the Internet still exists is because it's not possible to kill other people through computer screens, most people familiar with WoW culture sort of shrugged, and said, "Yeah, they sort of had it coming." The targets were holding their funeral on a PvP (Player-versus-Player) server. The victims could have mourned their friend somewhere besides the middle of the battle field, but instead, they mourned a real tragedy to demand special treatment. This was the closest the Internet gets to real war after all, and you don't see soldiers mourning their dead in the middle of the battle field.

Meh, fuck WoW, but they were asking for it.

As for the Eve bank dude, I'm semi-sure that actually would be unlawful.  Even if (obviously) real-life banking/stealing laws wouldn't apply, I'd have to imagine that contract, bailment, or estoppel presumably would.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Drakken

They forgot GoonSquad screwing BoB in the ass and dissolving the whole Alliance, and SOE pulling the NGE that killed Star Wars: Galaxies.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2011, 07:23:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 27, 2011, 06:23:15 PM

I don't either. I don't get how people make money. Why would you want to pay for anything in Second Life?

Does anyone get "Second Life".  I only vaguely know what it is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

It's the little things in EVE that are funnier than the big productions, like Goon planting containers in the shape of swastikas at the gates going into the Russian-controlled space.  Like little Nazi constellations for all to see.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2011, 11:25:11 PM
It's the little things in EVE that are funnier than the big productions, like Goon planting containers in the shape of swastikas at the gates going into the Russian-controlled space.  Like little Nazi constellations for all to see.

CCP gets fairly mad about Nazi stuff though.  The dudes who were putting the POS mods into swastika shapes during the invasion of evoke's (a German alliance) space got at least temp banned.  Also Hitler jokes and Nazi comments in local were good for anywhere from 24hr to 30 day gags, depending on how often you did it, and what local was like at the time (they were also handing out forum bans).  I don't remember what they put, but some guys were temp-banned for certain station names as well. 

Of course, evoke was petitioning it every time they saw it, so the GMs were all over that shit.  Things like the Russian gate cans, the 70km dong memorial around Shrike's first titan loss, etc, last a little longer.  The Russians don't always seem to really care about that shit, even if they aren't some of the ~1,200 that are in the alliance with us.  They'll petition it if it gives them an advantage, of course, but generally not just for being there.    The gigantic space cock actually stayed there until they changed the way cans worked (needing to be opened and such every so often).

Threviel

Quote from: Drakken on June 27, 2011, 10:29:51 PM
SOE pulling the NGE that killed Star Wars: Galaxies.

Explain that in english please.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Threviel on June 28, 2011, 06:34:25 AM
Quote from: Drakken on June 27, 2011, 10:29:51 PM
SOE pulling the NGE that killed Star Wars: Galaxies.

Explain that in english please.

SOE : Sony Online Entertainment
NGE : New Game Enhancement

It was a SWG update that fucked up everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on June 27, 2011, 10:26:18 PM
I laughed.  Am I a monster?  If so, how did I become this way? :weep:
I have to admit I thought it was pretty funny too. :blush:  But I'd never post something like that myself.  Anyway, there are multiple memorials to the little dude in WoW now.  None of them are killable either. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points